Thread: LS6 coils on truck

Tuner in Training

LS6 coils on truck

I recently swapped to LS6 coils from known 2003 corvette on my 5.3 swapped 79 C10 because I installed fancy valve covers with coil covers that are made to fit LS1 LS6 coils. I have read that the LS1 LS6 coils have different dwell settings then the normal truck settings and have verified by comparing files that they are different. I have noticed that it runs a bit richer at cold start and evens out once closed loop takes over and a tiny bit richer wot. My question is should I just copy and paste dwell settings from 2003 corvette to my 2005 Silverado ecm or should I adjust fueling to accommodate? I've tuned several vehicles but were always matching parts, so the coil change is a new adventure for me and don't want to get into any trouble by just testing to see what happens. A buddy of mine burnt up a couple pistons by playing with dwell settings on his LS3 swapped truck with mega squirt, so it has me a little nervous to attempt without some advice. Thanks in advance for any input.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mporte1983 View Post
    I recently swapped to LS6 coils from known 2003 corvette on my 5.3 swapped 79 C10 because I installed fancy valve covers with coil covers that are made to fit LS1 LS6 coils. I have read that the LS1 LS6 coils have different dwell settings then the normal truck settings and have verified by comparing files that they are different. I have noticed that it runs a bit richer at cold start and evens out once closed loop takes over and a tiny bit richer wot. My question is should I just copy and paste dwell settings from 2003 corvette to my 2005 Silverado ecm or should I adjust fueling to accommodate? I've tuned several vehicles but were always matching parts, so the coil change is a new adventure for me and don't want to get into any trouble by just testing to see what happens. A buddy of mine burnt up a couple pistons by playing with dwell settings on his LS3 swapped truck with mega squirt, so it has me a little nervous to attempt without some advice. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Yes. You will want to copy the dwell settings from the Vette to your PCM. The settings will slightly affect the AF mixture. I've also seen small power gains on the dyno by going to the correct dwell settings for the application.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info, I will copy and paste and flash it in. I thought I was on the right track just needed more expert advise.