Thread: 2006 Silverado 6.0 BTR Truck Norris cam

Tuner in Training

2006 Silverado 6.0 BTR Truck Norris cam

I?m not a tuner by any means, I own a 2006 Silverado crew cab that I installed a LQ9 with a BTR truck Norris cam, ported tbss intake and a ported LS3 throttle body. Has short tube headers, no cats and a Flowmaster exhaust. I usually have my truck tuned by a good friend, he?s usually really good. The issue I?m having is hot and cold start up. When cold the engine fires right off, but no high idle till warm. When I try to fire the engine when hot it labors to fire, but when it does finally fire it stumbles till it smooths out. Everything in the fuel system is new, pump, injectors, fuel rail, evap system. Any help for myself and my tuner would be greatly appreciated.@

Senior Tuner
    Post your tune and a datalog of a hot start.

Tuner in Training
    I just purchased HPT today so possibly I can soon. Just getting frustrated with the results that 3 different tuners have not been able to resolve.

I’ve got the sloppy stg1.5 in my lq9 with tbss and the 88mm truck tb with the xlink, I have long tubes no cats and a free flowing muffler aswell. Only issues I have is some weird idle surge when the ac compressor engages and disengages. I can send my file tomorrow and you can see if it’s any better for you. It’s a 06 vortec max.
    07 classic

Tuner in Training
    That would be great, I could at least try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbaranski View Post
    That would be great, I could at least try it out.
    here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    07 classic

Tuner in Training
    There is a ton of settings that are different. When I compare your tune to mine.
    Charles

There is a ton of settings that are different. When I compare your tune to mine.
    im sure there may be. it was on a 6.0l with 4l60. but truck was originally a 4.8 with 4l60
    07 classic

Advanced Tuner
    I dont like the 30* of timing at idle. MAF curve isnt the best either. It needs to be worked on. Honestly it looks as if someone tried loading different OS settings that zero'd several tables and values and altered several other areas. A stock OS file for that is WAY different. For just a truck norris cam and some bolt ons theres a lot of things that didnt really need to be altered, IMO. Did you install 42lb injectors? you said everything was new and included injectors, but didnt say if they were upgraded.

Id go back to the stock tune and start from there. Just fail the MAF and throw your current VE table into the stock one, BRAF, And injector data if those are changed. I am assuming they are new 42lb since all the data has been updated. Recalibrate the air model and timing tables from there.
    Last edited by horsepowerguru427; 11-25-2023 at 05:39 PM.
    "I don't care how it runs as long as it chop chops at idle"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by horsepowerguru427 View Post
    I dont like the 30* of timing at idle. MAF curve isnt the best either. It needs to be worked on. Honestly it looks as if someone tried loading different OS settings that zero'd several tables and values and altered several other areas. A stock OS file for that is WAY different. For just a truck norris cam and some bolt ons theres a lot of things that didnt really need to be altered, IMO. Did you install 42lb injectors? you said everything was new and included injectors, but didnt say if they were upgraded.

Id go back to the stock tune and start from there. Just fail the MAF and throw your current VE table into the stock one, BRAF, And injector data if those are changed. I am assuming they are new 42lb since all the data has been updated. Recalibrate the air model and timing tables from there.
    Yes they are 42lbs injectors for a 8.1L marine 496 bb.
    Charles

Advanced Tuner
    Yes they are 42lbs injectors for a 8.1L marine 496 bb.
    When i had those injectors years ago i had to use 43.8# to get data right. And then sent them off to be flowed and ended up flowing 43.6# at 4 bar.

Senior Tuner
    The ETC scalar is incorrect. It's pretty high...but, in this case, it's actually going to help the idle and startup.

The BRAF needs to be adjusted to get closer to the actual idle airflow. I suspect it's been adjusted in the tune in order to compensate for the incorrect ETC scalar. That's probably why he zeroed the adaptive idle airflow tables as well.

Once those values are dialed in, You can tweak the startup airflow initial if you need a bit more startup airflow.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    The ETC scalar is incorrect. It's pretty high...but, in this case, it's actually going to help the idle and startup.

The BRAF needs to be adjusted to get closer to the actual idle airflow. I suspect it's been adjusted in the tune in order to compensate for the incorrect ETC scalar. That's probably why he zeroed the adaptive idle airflow tables as well.

Once those values are dialed in, You can tweak the startup airflow initial if you need a bit more startup airflow.
    Thanks, Still learning what all the terms and abbreviations mean.
    Charles