Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning the LX5 3.5L DOHC V6 Shortstar?

Tuning the LX5 3.5L DOHC V6 Shortstar?

According to the website, HPTuners VCM doesn't support the 3.5L DOHC V6 found in the Oldsmobile Intrigue and Aurora. I absolutely need a way of tuning the PCM. I'm going to be putting this motor into a project car, mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. It's also most likely going to boosted in some fashion. Is there anything custom I can do? I don't want Megasquirt, as I want to keep the GM PCM and all it's associated electronics.

Is there any way I can use HPTuners with this engine?! GAH!

Oh yeah, sorry for not having an introduction. I'm Shaun.

Still no word on the motor? DHP won't even email me back about this.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Where are you located? If you could find someone local with hptuners to get an infolog to support they would easily be able to tell what computer you have to see if its something they can support. Much easier when they know what pcm is in the vehicle since they more or less support pcm's not vehicles
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks for the quick reply. Right now I live just south of Atlanta, Georgia. Problem is, I don't have a PCM or engine at the moment. It's a project car I want to work on, and if I can't tune it, then I'm not going to bother with the motor.

I'm going to try my best to find out whatever I can about the PCM. What would be helpful to know?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    the PN of the pcm would be a good start...then I could cross reference it to see if any of the current pcm's supported are the same.

Potential Tuner

good start

my 2002 Olds Intrigue w/ 3.5L DOHC (shortstar) has the following on the tag pasted to the PCM

SERV NO. 12209614 DPUC
    *86DPUCM11237L68Q* 12219164
    HDW NO. 12202600

I also have access to a scan tool if internal snooping would be helpful as well

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Just that service number is VERY helpful

-Bill

Any word? I'm excited, lol.

Potential Tuner
    interested......

One of the reasons the S* never got popular with Fiero swappers....

Potential Tuner
    Has anybody found out if this worked? I have an LX5 engine in my Aurora, and even if it is a custom order would like to have some sort of tuning (especially for forced induction) available.

i have one of the later PCM's from a 2006 Pontiac G6 3.5L. Unfortunately, we have no plans to support this engine (in 2008 plans at least).

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner

I have a LX5 3.5L

I have an olds aurora 3.5L that can be used to check this out. I am currently in Southwestern Michigan. I heard that the unit is different on the aurora than the intrigue but I can provide info on it if hp is still interested in supporting it. Would be willing to loan my car and engine in exchange for tuning it or a copy of the software.

Potential Tuner
    Still no word? I would like to know soon. I have found sombody who will reprogram it for me but for an extreme price. This is probably my last check before going with the other guy. If you need VIN or PCM info its out of the car juet let me know what numbers you need.

Potential Tuner

hopeful

preliminary examinations were looking hopeful as the 2002 grand am gt w/ 3.4 which is on the supported vehicle list uses a 12209614 PCM as is the 02 malibu

Potential Tuner
    So I have heard, the only problem is dealing with the GM data bus and the radio and wierd things like that.

Potential Tuner
    The guy from tuner cat said that the Jet's Spectrum tuner should work for it even though it was not listed as "supported" on the website. BUt from what tuner cat (the original Maker) said, it should work

Tuner in Training
    I am also interested. I have submitted info for a 3.5L shortstar Intrigue atleast once.
    2006 Pontiac GTO, Torrid Red, M6, "LS2.5"
    - LS3 Heads; 11.5:1
    - ARH Headers
    - Magnaflow
    - Svede
    - RipShift race

- No Lift Shift

2012 Chevrolet Cruze, Blue Topaz Metallic, M6, 1.8
    - Stock
    - 42 MPG

Tuner in Training
    my parents also have a 02 aurora and have expressed interest in some sort of tune

Potential Tuner

Lets Try this again...

>i have one of the later PCM's from a 2006 Pontiac G6 3.5L. Unfortunately, >we have no plans to support this engine (in 2008 plans at least).
    >
    >Chris...
    >__________________
    >I count sheep in hex...

wow... Chris's title = HPT Owner... I better phrase this carefully

3.5L motor in the G6 isn't exactly a performance choice with its old skool push-rod configuration but at least its got VVT, the 3500 is an excelent replacement for GMs sturdy daily driver work horse 3.1L 60 degree V6. the 3500 is dubed 'High Value V6' and puts out around 200 ponies, it is also a 60 degree V6. the HV-V6s are probably in the same family line as the 3.1L.

the 3.5L in the intrigue is not this engine, its not a push-rod motor, its a multi-valve engine, its not even a 60 degree V6. it belongs to the Northstar family and as such is IMHO a great choice for a performance project... that being said, I am sure it takes more than just asking 'is it a decent performance engine? ... OK lets support it' to get the ball rolling.

unless I miss my guess, HPT pretty much supports PCMs, not actual engines, the good news is:
    2002 grand am gt w/ 3.4
    and the 02 malibu
    ARE on the supported vehicle list
    AND use 12209614 PCM (same as my 2002 Intrigue)

agian... I don't think its that simple... but much of the work neccesary may have already been done, worth taking another look?

Lx5

I'll throw my hat in the ring.
    I have an LX5 in bad need of a tune!