Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: p59 gen3 O2 need help turning off 02 for VE tuning

Advanced Tuner

p59 gen3 O2 need help turning off 02 for VE tuning

Ive followed the 'steps' to ready the engine for VE tuning.

during scanning the 02s are still working, adding/removing fuel

how can i 100% disable them?

Ive completed BRAF bothin park and gear last week. And have completed them again this morning since i have made changes to the tune.

But, i cant get my VE table adjusted becuase the 02s over ride what im doing.

thank you for any help/suggestions

VE.hplVE.hpt

The STFT open loop table/drop down is still enabled.

You'll be pulling a ton a fuel out at wide open throttle too, that VE is way rich for those size injectors.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The STFT open loop table/drop down is still enabled..
    thank you, caught that as well..

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You'll be pulling a ton a fuel out at wide open throttle too, that VE is way rich for those size injectors.
    exactly, was originally set up for 24# now has 50#s thus, the need to retune all this. I'd like to get it dialed in on street before dyno for full WOT runs

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
    thank you, caught that as well..

exactly, was originally set up for 24# now has 50#s thus, the need to retune all this. I'd like to get it dialed in on street before dyno for full WOT runs
    If your injector data is setup correctly VE is unchanged. Airflow through the engine changes VE, not injectors. I have changed injectors and not touched VE or MAF because it was not needed. LS injectors in a stock L29 454 with a regulator at 58 pai.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    If your injector data is setup correctly VE is unchanged.
    Not a correction, just expanding on that a little...

If you change injectors and injector data and then find that it does require retuning, then something is not right. Injectors are not correct, injectors don't match the application the data was taken from, data was entered wrong, set up for the wrong kind of regulator/fuel system, you have a different base fuel pressure than the application the source data used - something doesn't match reality somewhere.

What "50lb injectors" do you have? Cause the data doesn't seem to match either 12613412 or 12609749. Need to know your fuel system type, and actual rail pressure as verified with a mechanical gauge, too.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Not a correction, just expanding on that a little...

If you change injectors and injector data and then find that it does require retuning, then something is not right. Injectors are not correct, injectors don't match the application the data was taken from, data was entered wrong, set up for the wrong kind of regulator/fuel system, you have a different base fuel pressure than the application the source data used - something doesn't match reality somewhere.

What "50lb injectors" do you have? Cause the data doesn't seem to match either 12613412 or 12609749. Need to know your fuel system type, and actual rail pressure as verified with a mechanical gauge, too.
    Agreed and correct. I just tuned a 6.0L with the 12613412 injectors as well. Had it running good on stock injectors but it was out of fuel up top. Swapped injectors and data and it runs the same.

Advanced Tuner
    Had it running good on stock injectors but it was out of fuel up top. Swapped injectors and data and it runs the same.
    Thats exactly what was going on with mine..
    What "50lb injectors" do you have? Cause the data doesn't seem to match either 12613412 .
    12613412 ijectors. Actual GM, not the fake ones from amazong. I used the injector data from https://www.ewaltsautotuning.com/ls-...1qagd7ehd7pyS4
    If your injector data is setup correctly VE is unchanged. Airflow through the engine changes VE, not injectors. I have changed injectors and not touched VE or MAF because it was not needed..
    thank you all for the replies.
    My engine was running out of fuel above 3k rpms, so I bought the 12613412 injectors to fix that issue.
    I updated the flow data with the info I got from Ewalt's and have had no run ability issues.
    I have currently installed a wideband and the vehicle at all RPMs is rich. So, now that i am home from my tour in Iraq, I have had some time to get to know my mvp1 again and tune my truck.
    For back information, while i stationed at another location, I had a reputable 'street tuner' dial in my tune (before the 50# inject swap) and it has been fine for the last few years. ( I never really ran it hard to know it was out of injector back then) It has never been on a dyno, and I haven’t changed much else to the engine since that street tune.
    I first started with BRAF both in park and in gear. Then I started with VE tuning. I'm not russ k, or cleetus, I’m just a guy who is a hobbyist and when asking questions gets treated like a 7 year old trying to light a fire.
    I've watched many videos, read the how tos, and I'm not getting the same results, therefore I must be doing something wrong.
    I want to get my VE tuned, I see my PE comes in about 2400 rpms, so above that it goes .7 lambda, and below that, cruising speeds, it’s about .9

Again thanks for any info, it is much appreciated, I'm not a kid, I like to learn..

Advanced Tuner
    Im using a walrboro 255 intank pump with corvette style regulator to a truck intake manifold.
    key on or running the picture is my fuel pressure.
    Picture of engine. 5.3 with milled heads, stock truck intake and T body, stock truck MAF, 231/242 113+3, .600/.600 Lift cam, 3600 stall, quick change rear axle with 2.50/3.80/4.60 ratios

Attachment 129000
    Attachment 129001

I updated the flow data with the info I got from Ewalt's and have had no run ability issues.
    ...other than the VE that suddenly needs to be inflated by 25% over stock?

Difference from stock LR4 file:
    screenshot.05-03-2023 13.57.59.png

This is the correct data, converted by me with my own little hands from a 2010 L96 file.

VE - 12613412.hpt

Have you run it in closed loop to use the trims as a rationality test for what your wideband is reading? Wideband errors or errors in the scanner math are pretty common and easy to check by using trims.

What is this vehicle, what's done to it? A swap? Big cam? Is it permanently open loop or just temporarily while tuning? Is the MAF removed or just failed? Your logfile does not show a MAF code which is required for it to really be in speed density, does it set the code when you check it (sometimes codes do not appear in recorded logs even though they're there). Have you tried MAF Fail = 0Hz instead of 1Hz?

Advanced Tuner

Difference from stock LR4 file:
    screenshot.05-03-2023 13.57.59.png

This is the correct data, converted by me with my own little hands from a 2010 L96 file.

VE - 12613412.hpt

Have you run it in closed loop to use the trims as a rationality test for what your wideband is reading? Wideband errors or errors in the scanner math are pretty common and easy to check by using trims.

What is this vehicle, what's done to it? A swap? Big cam? Is it permanently open loop or just temporarily while tuning? Is the MAF removed or just failed? Your logfile does not show a MAF code which is required for it to really be in speed density, does it set the code when you check it (sometimes codes do not appear in recorded logs even though they're there). Have you tried MAF Fail = 0Hz instead of 1Hz?
    Also needs to set the Dynamic Blend High RPM disable above the fuel kill.

Vapor Canister Purge solenoid should also be disabled for tuning.

I also disable DFCO for tuning.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 03-05-2023 at 03:29 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Im using a walrboro 255 intank pump with corvette style regulator to a truck intake manifold.
    Picture of engine. 5.3 with milled heads, stock truck intake and T body, stock truck MAF, 231/242 113+3, .600/.600 Lift cam, 3600 stall, quick change rear axle with 2.50/3.80/4.60 ratios

Attachment 129000
    Attachment 129001
    So right off the bat. You should not really need to make changes to the MAF calibration atleast to start with. It might need some slight tweaks in the lower part of the calibration due to reversion, but leave it alone until you dial in your VEs. The amount of vacuum your engine pulls will change your IAC Effective Area table. I would not attempt to correct the IAC Effective table until your VEs are spot on using good injector data. Once your IAC Effective area is tuned correctly, you will need to revisit your BRAF table. Before you dial in the BRAF table you need the Idle Desired Airflow and Dynamic airflow values to closely match. If they are within 1/2 gm/sec or so (the closer they match the better but they both bounce around so it is impossible to have an exact match) you will get good results dialing in the BRAF table. If they are split by several grams a second or more you will not get good results. The PCM needs to know how much airflow the IAC is moving before you can calibrate the amount of airflow needed.

However as I pointed out, start with good injector data first for those injectors in a returnless fuel system. With a returnless system the injectors will have more pressure differential across them as vacuum rises, thus respond more slowly and deliver more fuel. Hence the importance of good data. Without using good injector data you will constantly be chasing a moving target for multiple things in the tune.

I forgot to mention with the MAF failed, once the VE tables get close, both the MAF and Dynamic airflow values should be very similar at any given point.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 03-05-2023 at 03:54 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    start with good injector data first
    both the MAF and Dynamic airflow values should be very similar at any given point.
    Also needs to set the Dynamic Blend High RPM disable above the fuel kill.
    Vapor Canister Purge solenoid should also be disabled for tuning.
    I also disable DFCO for tuning.
    Have you run it in closed loop
    This was tuned nearly 3.5 years ago on the street. I dropped my vehicle off and picked it up the next day. I have been driving this for nearly 12k miles. This is an ?s10 truck? and recently I removed the cab from the frame to do some paint work and freshen up the trans and have my converter cut open and inspected because I have a weird ?slip? when driving long distances and thought the clutch might have had issues. That being said, I went over seas, did a tour in Iraq, and now that I am back home, I am going over things and one of them is installing a wideband and looking over my tune, because I want to learn more than I do, and taking one step at a time. So, the first thing I noticed was 110% injector when WOT. So I found the 12613412 injectors and asked for the data so I can change it in the tune. This is all that has been done to the tune and or the engine since it was ?street tuned? 3.5 years ago.
    So, if my injector data is bad, I?ll need to source that, and looks like ?blindsquirrel? has provided his data, and if its uploadable to my tune ill input it. But, I like to research what I upload, as I don?t know him, or anyone, and I don?t want to melt a piston.
    DFCO is disabled, I have no cats, nor vapor canister purge, MAF is failed verified by check engine light, dynamic blend high rpm is set to 12000.
    The VE table is basically the same from 3.5 years ago and the 24# injectors. I have been removing fuel out of it, since it is rich, hence this entire post. Currently it is commanding .70 lambda (10.29 afr) at WOT, and that?s way to rich, I?d like to be in the .085 (12.50 afr) with my NA engine.
    I?m sure you guys are correct if my injector data is off then the super rich afr is caused by it, and it was probably lea with the 24#ers doing all they could to feed my engine.

Last, 'fast4.7' stated "both the MAF and Dynamic airflow values should be very similar.." where are the dynamic values you are referring to? is that a gen iv VVE thing? Or I'm mistaking it as something else as i dont see it under engine-airflow-dynamic?

Thank you again for all your comments, it is very much appreciated and I take notes and use all the info for my own learning experiences and my own vehicle as the test bed.

Advanced Tuner
    thank you for taking the time to do that it is appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    This was tuned nearly 3.5 years ago on the street. I dropped my vehicle off and picked it up the next day. I have been driving this for nearly 12k miles. This is an ?s10 truck? and recently I removed the cab from the frame to do some paint work and freshen up the trans and have my converter cut open and inspected because I have a weird ?slip? when driving long distances and thought the clutch might have had issues. That being said, I went over seas, did a tour in Iraq, and now that I am back home, I am going over things and one of them is installing a wideband and looking over my tune, because I want to learn more than I do, and taking one step at a time. So, the first thing I noticed was 110% injector when WOT. So I found the 12613412 injectors and asked for the data so I can change it in the tune. This is all that has been done to the tune and or the engine since it was ?street tuned? 3.5 years ago.
    So, if my injector data is bad, I?ll need to source that, and looks like ?blindsquirrel? has provided his data, and if its uploadable to my tune ill input it. But, I like to research what I upload, as I don?t know him, or anyone, and I don?t want to melt a piston.
    DFCO is disabled, I have no cats, nor vapor canister purge, MAF is failed verified by check engine light, dynamic blend high rpm is set to 12000.
    The VE table is basically the same from 3.5 years ago and the 24# injectors. I have been removing fuel out of it, since it is rich, hence this entire post. Currently it is commanding .70 lambda (10.29 afr) at WOT, and that?s way to rich, I?d like to be in the .085 (12.50 afr) with my NA engine.
    I?m sure you guys are correct if my injector data is off then the super rich afr is caused by it, and it was probably lea with the 24#ers doing all they could to feed my engine.

Last, 'fast4.7' stated "both the MAF and Dynamic airflow values should be very similar.." where are the dynamic values you are referring to? is that a gen iv VVE thing? Or I'm mistaking it as something else as i dont see it under engine-airflow-dynamic?

Thank you again for all your comments, it is very much appreciated and I take notes and use all the info for my own learning experiences and my own vehicle as the test bed.
    Dynamic airflow is available in the scanner on both the P01 and P59 but you have to add the channel. When I get a chance, I will plug into my P59 and let you know what tab it is under. It is in the GM specific not Generic OBD2 but not where you would expect it to be.

Is the rich afr the wideband reading or the commanded air/fuel ratio from the scanner? If the commanded is overly rich, look at a few settings in the Fuel tab.

A.) Engine>Fuel>Stoichiometric Ratio (Verify that the air/fuel ratio is 14.12 for E10 fuel or 14.68 for Non-Ethanol fuel)
    B.) Engine>Fuel>Open Loop/Base (Verify that the EQ Ratio is set to 1.0:1 at operating temperature)
    C.) Engine>Fuel>Temperature Control (Verify that the Catalyst Overheat Protection switch is Disabled)
    D.) Engine>Fuel>Power Enrichment>EQ Ratio Gas (This is where you set the actual WOT commanded air/fuel ratio. Math would be 14.12/12.5 = 1.1296 multiplier for a 12.5:1 air/fuel)

Personally I would command 11.5 or 12.0 for initial VE table tuning. Once you get the VE tables dialed in closely, shift the commanded afr leaner and it should fall right in line. Personally I stay on the richer side anyway because it keeps the combustion chamber cooler and helps prevent detonation.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 03-06-2023 at 10:37 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    For Injector data that you need to change.

Engine > Fuel > General > Flow Rate vs KPA
    Engine > Fuel > General > Minimum Injector Pulse
    Engine > Fuel > General > Default Injector Pulse
    Engine > Fuel > General > Offset vs Volts vs VAC
    Engine > Fuel > General > Short Pulse Limit
    Engine > Fuel > General > Short Pulse Adder

You can write the file I provided, as the only changes I made were to the injector data. You can verify this yourself. Open the 'VE - 12613412.hpt' file, open the previous file 'VE.hpt' as Compare, go to View Differences to see what tables were changed.

If it still looks like it needs anything significant changed in either VE or MAF to get back to where it was before the injector change, then something is wrong with either your injectors (they aren't what they claim to be), or something is wrong with your fuel pressure (doesn't match the pressure for the flow/offset data), or something is wrong with your wideband math in the scanner (it isn't really as lean as the WB is claiming, necessitating a bunch of fuel added to get the WB up to 'good' numbers).

Attachment 129000
    Attachment 129001
    Attachments are broken. What is the fuel pressure?

Advanced Tuner
    You can write the file I provided
    i uploaded your info.

Attachments are broken. What is the fuel pressure?
    not sure why the pictures/attachments arent showing. 60 PSI key on and running. walboro 255 in tank to corvette fuel filter, single line to engine.

Advanced Tuner
    Dynamic airflow is available in the scanner .
    I apologize, yes this hass been added previously and has been collecting data. The very first post has both my ‘tune’ and my data log if you want to take a closer look.
    Is the rich afr the wideband reading .
    yes it is what the WB is reading.
    Ethanol fuel)
    B.) Engine>Fuel>Open Loop/Base (Verify that the EQ Ratio is set to 1.0:1 at operating temperature)
    C.) Engine>Fuel>Temperature Control (Verify that the Catalyst Overheat Protection switch is Disabled)
    D.) Engine>Fuel>Power Enrichment>EQ Ratio Gas (This is where you set the actual WOT commanded air/fuel ratio. Math would be 14.12/12.5 = 1.1296 multiplier for a 12.5:1 air/fuel)
    yessir, these are all as you said, except for EQ ratio, it is currently set at 14.68 with a 1.180 multiplier.

Advanced Tuner
    Attachments
    thank you for the informaiton on this thread.. very helpful as well.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...tor-info/page2