Thread: Tuning Sequence

Tuner in Training

Question Tuning Sequence

I am new to this and just learning to tune. I added a cam, intake, headers etc to my 2012 C6 (received a base file from a member on here so it would stay running, totally appreciate that!) and was wanting to make sure I am tuning in the right order. Is it MAF, Speed Density then Spark? Are there any other key tuning steps to perform? Also, when I tune the MAF do I use that final file as my base file for Speed Density then that final combined file for spark or do I tune for speed density using the original stock file then the original stock file every step then adjust all the tables at once on a separate stock file when I am done?

Tuner
    For myself it was not such a straight forward process as just maf, Vve, then spark. After reading basically all the threads I could on tuning my truck I came to the conclusion that there are many ways to get you where you want to be depending on where you really want to be, and you might not know where that is until you do some tuning yourself. You kinda have to make the jump from the frying pan to the fire. For myself, I started with tuning the maf to get my feet wet and I also turned off closed loop and ended up leaving it off as I intend to do many more mods later and this is in preparation for them. After getting a good understanding of tuning maf and running maf only with open loop, I started working on spark and maf hand in hand until full power across rpm and load range was achieved. Then, just recently, and about a year after I started using HPTUNERS, I tuned the Vve table and was easily able to do this since I have learned hoe to manipulate the scanner to show me anything I need to view the engine flow dynamics. With the maf and timing as perfect as I could make them the Vve took me only a day to get that tuned just as good as the maf and I can switch from one to the other as I like because they basically match for flow at least well enough in the mid and high load areas. It is a journey, you just have to get going.
    2017 Silverado 3500HD WT 6.0 flex fuel 6L90 6800lbs E78 T43

--- What am I doing??? Why did I do that??? ---

Senior Tuner
    I like to start on the airflow models first. Work on spark the entire time. If your going to enable the MAF do that last.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunercharged View Post
    For myself it was not such a straight forward process as just maf, Vve, then spark. After reading basically all the threads I could on tuning my truck I came to the conclusion that there are many ways to get you where you want to be depending on where you really want to be, and you might not know where that is until you do some tuning yourself. You kinda have to make the jump from the frying pan to the fire. For myself, I started with tuning the maf to get my feet wet and I also turned off closed loop and ended up leaving it off as I intend to do many more mods later and this is in preparation for them. After getting a good understanding of tuning maf and running maf only with open loop, I started working on spark and maf hand in hand until full power across rpm and load range was achieved. Then, just recently, and about a year after I started using HPTUNERS, I tuned the Vve table and was easily able to do this since I have learned hoe to manipulate the scanner to show me anything I need to view the engine flow dynamics. With the maf and timing as perfect as I could make them the Vve took me only a day to get that tuned just as good as the maf and I can switch from one to the other as I like because they basically match for flow at least well enough in the mid and high load areas. It is a journey, you just have to get going.
    Thank you for responding, it definitely feels like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. I have been watching Goat Rope Garage and have learned a lot, however, I just don't feel like I know enough just yet to get started.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I like to start on the airflow models first. Work on spark the entire time. If your going to enable the MAF do that last.
    Now you get to see how confused I am... airflow models is = Speed Density? When I see MAF, I think airflow... you see how confused I am?

Personally
    1. VVE/VE
    2. MAF
    3. Spark
    4. Trans.
    5. Fine tune everything.
    6 WOT

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace7777 View Post
    Now you get to see how confused I am... airflow models is = Speed Density? When I see MAF, I think airflow... you see how confused I am?
    Airflow model is VE/VVE or Volumetric Efficiency/Virtual Volumetric Efficiency. I think. This is what the computer uses for calculations when in Speed Density. I think.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Personally
    1. VVE/VE
    2. MAF
    3. Spark
    4. Trans.
    5. Fine tune everything.
    6 WOT
    Thank you for the reply, this is close to what I thought but is there a benefit to VVE/VE first? GRG seems to propose VVE/VE 3rd compared to your list... everything else is in same order, is there a specific reason for this order?

Advanced Tuner
    Unless you are going to be exclusively running speed density the MAF is the FIRST thing you should tune IMO. VVE is a backup for the maf while running in a blended state. It's also referenced during transient conditions

Being a Gen4 I tackle MAF first with a close resemblance to VVE (basically happens at the same time). Fueling is most important in my opinion, then tackle spark

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Being a Gen4 I tackle MAF first with a close resemblance to VVE (basically happens at the same time). Fueling is most important in my opinion, then tackle spark
    When I first started it was quite a jump for me getting used to the interface and the deal with coefficients on the VVE tables were like magical at first so I just tuned the MAF separately with the anticipation of understanding things better later. Changing my intake needed MAF tuning so being comfortable with that got me to spend time with the scanner, basically converting everything I was seeing to grams per cylinder measurements. This finally enabled me to super easily tune the VVE recently and I just wanted to thank you for all the info in your posts which I found very beneficial to my learning process.
    2017 Silverado 3500HD WT 6.0 flex fuel 6L90 6800lbs E78 T43

--- What am I doing??? Why did I do that??? ---

Quote Originally Posted by Tunercharged View Post
    When I first started it was quite a jump for me getting used to the interface and the deal with coefficients on the VVE tables were like magical at first so I just tuned the MAF separately with the anticipation of understanding things better later. Changing my intake needed MAF tuning so being comfortable with that got me to spend time with the scanner, basically converting everything I was seeing to grams per cylinder measurements. This finally enabled me to super easily tune the VVE recently and I just wanted to thank you for all the info in your posts which I found very beneficial to my learning process.
    Thanks for the kind words

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C