Thread: maf tuning

Tuner in Training

maf tuning

New here so trying to educate myself on this tuning system. Is there a procedure to tune an 2001 8.1 maf. Watched Goat Rope vid on maf tuning but he goes so fast its hard for me to grasp. And I have did a search on the forum but not much is coming up. Thanks for the help.
    Greg Lee

Potential Tuner
    Watched the same video and here's what I have surmised from it so far.
    1) You have to have a broadband O2 sensor to utilize his method.
    2) You are using data collection to log errors in the mixture straying from ideal.
    3) The math statement he captures is for quantifying the errors.
    4) After copying the table he goes back to the editor and pastes it in the table for MAF Calibration ( airflow vs freq ), utilizing paste special divide by two, assuming
    this is to average the data so you don't over correct.

He does a good job of showing the procedure, but leaves out a lot of the why. I'm going to watch it a few more times and should be able to glean out more pertinent
    info on the procedure and will try to share as I learn it myself. Just getting started on tuning myself ( 2004 Corvette ). Getting ready so wald the new bung in the
    exhaust for the broadband myself.

Have a good day and hope this helps a little.

i had to watch some of his videos 2 times to catch on. basically using fuel trims you set the scanner up about the same as his but instead you just log the ltft for the parameter. and copy your maf table in. reset ltft each time you begin a log. copy and paste special %half each time and it will sneak up on it. for speed density you log the ltft for the parameter and then use the table rows and columns to create a graph in the scanner that matches the table in the editor, then its the same steps to log, copy, and paste as the maf.

as far as his setup in the editor, for the method using ltft you have to leave the o2 sensors active and only disable cat over temp and dfco. and if you get deep enough in the throttle to go into power enrichment or open loop it will not log correctly on this method. for open loop you need a wideband o2 sensor.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the help. My MPVI3 arrived in the mail today. Maybe we can hold each others hand as we dive off into tuning. A few questions:1. I have true duel exhaust. Is it necessary to use two WB sensors to calculate the error? 2. Is the math statement included in the HP software or do you have to write the equation yourself. 3. So are you using ideal Lambda (1) vs o2 lambda to get the error? Enough questions for now. Answer these and Im sure I will have more. Thx for the response.
    Greg Lee

Tuner in Training
    How is the ltft reset? I will have more questions soon. Thx for the response

Quote Originally Posted by clevor View Post
    How is the ltft reset? I will have more questions soon. Thx for the response
    Go to goat rope garage . com and buy the tuner setup he has for sale, then just modify the ones you need to use. thats what i did. as far as the wide bands maybe someone with more experience will chime in. i dont have any but im just tuning for part throttle and highway drivability. for open loop they are a mmust have. ltft reset is in the scanner under vehicle special functions tab.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by clevor View Post
    Is it necessary to use two WB sensors to calculate the error?
    are you using ideal Lambda (1) vs o2 lambda to get the error?
    if you have true dual exhuast you can use one pipe, but, if there is an issue like a stuck injector on the other pipe you wont see it. Unless you swap left to right a few times to verify your reeadings.
    I dont understand 'idel lambda' vs o2 lambda? o2 sensors dont read lambda, they just sense rich or lean and tell the computer to add or subtract. A Wideband o2 senses and displays anything passing it, such as the actual AFR if its lean or rich. Does that help?