Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the cheapest, easiest wideband setup

Advanced Tuner

what is the cheapest, easiest wideband setup

I don't currently have the EIO. I guess I would need that correct? What is the easiest, cheapest way for me to get setup with a wideband? Thank you for your time.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    i love my lm1...not the cheapest but a 2 wire hookup to hpt definitly makes it the easiest.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    I agree with Bill. Spend the extra now and save a bunch of headaches! trust me! The next best thing would be a AEM setup that a few guys use.

Senior Tuner
    I use the AEM, three wires to connect ... positive, ground and HPT. I am also eyeing the NTK AFX (91101) that Greg (eficalibrator) recommends, looks like a very nice unit.

Advanced Tuner
    What are everones thoughts on the PLX SM-AFR?

I think the lc-1 is about the cheapest. I will be getting it in a few weeks. By looking at the instructions it does not look too hard to install. I am looking to Make a plug for it to hook in to my cigarette lighter and a quick ground.

This way I can run the wire through the door and plug it in when I am tuning and when im done I can unplug it/ plug the 02 hole and take it out.
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

Not A Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by truckmann
    I bought one based on recommendations here and the fact that they answer the phone with knowledgeable techs

But I havn't had it installed yet

DH

2004 MSG A4

Appearance: Billet Plate&Sill/SS Insert/Screens/Blackout/Lowered/CCW SP500

Perfomance: 416 CI/228-232@114/AFR 225/FAST/LS2 TB/36#Injectors/Honker/RPM(IV)/Vig2400/Z06 Ti/Kooks/3.42 Gear/Hotchkis/Bilstein/Z06 Springs/Eradispeed/Hawk HP+/Trans Cooler/B&M Trans Pan/RonDavies with EOC/Nitto R2's/AMWcan/Rocker Rails/Frame Savers

Mods & Tune: A&A Corvette

??? RWHP / ??? RWTQ
    1/4 mile: mid 11's ??
    WSIR 1:37.68

Advanced Tuner
    Do some research and make sure you ground the lc-1 in the proper place. I have seen a lot of posts about the lc-1 having problems burning out the sensor rather quickly with an improper ground. Not that it is a bad unit or anything just be sure to follow the directions.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
    I bought one based on recommendations here and the fact that they answer the phone with knowledgeable techs

But I havn't had it installed yet

DH
    I have yet to see any negative feedback about this unit so I am leaning hard at buying it and the price is reasonable too.

The PLX is great. 2 wires for power, 2 for EIO, and the WBO2 plugs in. You do have to solder some if you use their power connector, but I've had no trouble and its $195 with the sensor. It also does not need free-air calibration.
    2005 Sierra Z71 SLT CCSB (LM7)
    STS GT67, LPE GT 2-3, ASP Pulley, Delphi 42#, A'PEXi AVC-R, PLX SM-AFR, FLT Level 5 4L65E, PI Vig 2600, HP Tuners with 2-Bar SD OS (Plus some smaller mods)

Support our Troops

Advanced Tuner
    LC-1 has three ground wires(one for the system, one for the heater, and one for the analog ground) and one positive wire you hook to a 12v power supply. There is also a black calibration wire you can hook an LED and a momentary push button to recalibrate it and monitor that it is working properly..

Also, it comes with a USB connection to hook up to your computer so you can program the outputs, and comes with it's own software so you can verify the output of the wideband and the data shown in your software is the same(in case of voltage offsets or whatever)

The hardest part is deciding where you want to put it, in my case I did like Ozo wants to do and made mine portable using a new cig. lighter socket and cigarette lighter adapter from RadioShack. No sense leaving it in there if you arent tuning or simming a narrowband..plus if a buddy needs a tune you can pop it right on and right back off...

It's not for someone who isnt comfortable with splicing wires, but if you've ever installed a car audio system, this is cake compared to that. Once you get it wired up to be portable, you just install your wideband, hook up your power/grounds, and plug yur analog output into your EIO....or in my and Oz's case...hook it up to the AC Pressure sensor harness..1 wire.

It sounds like a lot, but it really isnt, plus you'll have that feeling of accomplishing something you could have just paid extra for

Advanced Tuner
    The NGK WB setup does seem like a nice piece. I checked it out, but opted for the LM1. It should be here by the end of the week. The grounding for the LC1 is still not set in stone. Im still hearing ground to seperate ground sources and to ground them all to the same source. depends on who you talk to. Personally, I did it both ways to see which worked best...it was the same either way.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    The NGK WB setup does seem like a nice piece. I checked it out, but opted for the LM1. It should be here by the end of the week. The grounding for the LC1 is still not set in stone. Im still hearing ground to seperate ground sources and to ground them all to the same source. depends on who you talk to. Personally, I did it both ways to see which worked best...it was the same either way.
    Yeah I have tried several different grounding methods and seen zero difference....if there is a difference..it isnt enough to matter...

I just decided to ground everything to the chassis ground for the battery.....no problems..
    Pacesetter LTs| Flowmaster & Custom 3" ORY
    Patriot Gold dual springs | Titanium Retainers | CM Rods
    XER 226/226 585/585 112 | MTI lid| P&P TB & MAF | TBB
    Hurst | !AIR !EGR | Built T56 | 01-02 Slave cyl.
    '04 GTO A4 Black/Red | Free Mods | 13.2 @ 106 1.9 60' every time

I did a lot of research and ended up buying the PLX SM-AFR. I haven't gotten it yet, but from what I've read, it is a great wideband.
    2005 C-6

Specs:

- '05 Z51 'vette 'vert
    - Z06 ass end
    - MN6
    - forged, stroked to a 404
    - Procharger D1SC @ ~16 psi
    - 235/242 614/624 115 lsa
    - 83# Seimens injectors (with proper Banish info)
    - 2.5 bar OS w/2.5 bar MAP
    - twin walbros
    - Kooks, 3", Corsa
    - Meth

Potential Tuner
    Anyone interested in a group buy on PLX widebands? Check out this link: http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.ph...1&page=1&pp=15
    2005 Corvette - intake, cam, exhaust
    2010 CTS-V - intake, exhaust
    2008 Wrangler Rubicon - stock
    2015 Audi Q5 - stock

Advanced Tuner
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PLX-D...spagenameZWD1V

I think this is a better price than what they are getting and you don't have to wait to find out if the GB is even going to happen.

Senior Tuner

I think this is a better price than what they are getting and you don't have to wait to find out if the GB is even going to happen.

Guys, that looks like an awesome deal. I love the guage in that set up. Mine is a box style guage and can't decide where to put it.....

Potential Tuner

Wink Or get it without the gauge for tuning only purposes..

Yep, that looks like a good deal if you want the gauge, and they have the narrow band output so you can swap it in and out with the stock O2 sensor.

For tuning, like me, if you only want it for tuning purposes you can save a about fifty bucks and buy it without the gauge - get the O2 sensor and module only so it can hook into HPT. This way I can shave, like, what, 12 grams from the weight of the car by not having the extra equipment installed?

I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle.

1997 C5 A4 Torch Red, Blackwing, Transgo Shift Kit, My HPT Tune, Borla Stingers, LGM Street Headers, Elite Engineering Abs of ALUMINUM, CCW Wheels

Advanced Tuner
    I am a cheap bastard! So when I am interested in buying something I search my butt off to find the best deal.

my votes lc1. only 170$ on ebay with shipping got here two days. pretty easy to set up only need a relay and your ignition 1 wire. tho ive been having battery drainage problems ever since.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'