Thread: VE tuning low rpm high MAP with 3000 rpm converter

Potential Tuner

VE tuning low rpm high MAP with 3000 rpm converter

I am working on tuning VE on my 04 Tahoe stock 5.3 4L60E 3000 stall 4.10 rear gears.

The question I have is, when trying to fill cells, I end up missing most of the stuff in the bottom left quarter of the table. I can hit them if I get up on the converter and play with different throttle inputs. Am I helping or hurting myself by doing this? Should I just focus on normal mixed driving with some high throttle pulls and smooth pedal movements? Thanks in advance.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh462 View Post
    I am working on tuning VE on my 04 Tahoe stock 5.3 4L60E 3000 stall 4.10 rear gears.

The question I have is, when trying to fill cells, I end up missing most of the stuff in the bottom left quarter of the table. I can hit them if I get up on the converter and play with different throttle inputs. Am I helping or hurting myself by doing this? Should I just focus on normal mixed driving with some high throttle pulls and smooth pedal movements? Thanks in advance.
    Loading the torque converter is a good method of hitting those cells in the lower corner. It shouldn't require much of a change from stock since the engine is stock.

Potential Tuner
    I appreciate the response. I got HP Tuners to double check the work of a shop that did a tune for me. Unfortunately, I found that I got very little for the $350 I paid. The main thing I wanted done was a street tune to set my shift points and converter lock-up to fit my new converter and rear gears. It drove a little better, but it still wasn't right. I took it back for an adjustment and didn't see much improvement. They said it's as good as it's going to get and blamed the transmission builder. Joke's on them, I'm the builder. After going through the tune, I found that all they did was load Blue Cat tables for the shift scheduling and poached some other tables directly from YouTube videos. That explains why they only put 12 miles on it. Of course, they tried to argue about that too. The pictures on my phone shut that down lol. Needless to say, I have trust issues.

Advanced Tuner
    You won't be able to get it all. Just get as much coverage as you can and extrapolate where necessary. Use your judgment.