Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.0 Truck Norris cam tuing. a starting point

Download ATG Calculator for your phone. Gives a good idea what g/s should be

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by swsmotorsports View Post
    Perhaps I'm not making myself clear, or possibly a reading comprehension issue is occurring here.

I ran a datalog with the maf enabled, I was concerned with the accuracy of the MAF reading.
    I then switched over to speed density to tune the VE table.
    nobody has addressed the original question about the MAF values.

a factory-enclosed MAF sensor should not need substantial changes to a factory MAF calibration. And should have a very precise readout.

at this point, in speed density, long-term trims are within 2% across the board so AFRs are much better, and WOT is pretty solid at 12.7-13.0. not perfect, but certainly better.

i have yet to re-enable the maf
    You are wrong on the enclosed MAF not needing substantial changes to the factory calibration if it is not in the factory air ducting. I know of an OEM application with a closed maf that merely removing the air cleaner from the housing will practically stall the engine it runs so lean.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    You are wrong on the enclosed MAF not needing substantial changes to the factory calibration if it is not in the factory air ducting. I know of an OEM application with a closed maf that merely removing the air cleaner from the housing will practically stall the engine it runs so lean.
    I agree. The laminar flow is critical. Best bet is to use Airflow Straighteners in front of a behind MAF.

http://www.saxonpc.com/airflow-products.html

Hi All
    I'm just a noob to EFI tuning but I'm also running a 6.0. At this point no cam yet but a sheet metal manifold,
    stock TB, custom CAI and long tube headers. This is in a race car and my logs show about 32 lb/min air flow.
    I think with the stock manifold and the cam you are possibly in the ball park on air flow.

As I said I am a beginner at tuning so please don't flame me for my .02 worth
    81 Malibu Wagon
    Specs:
    Stock 6.0 LQ9 1 3/4 Long Tubes
    Sheet metal Manifold, Custom 4" CAI
    TH350 Trans 8 1/2" Diff 4.10 & Spool
    3200 Stall Torque
    Best time 1/8 mile - 8.05 @ 85MPH

Quote Originally Posted by LongRoof81 View Post
    Hi All
    I'm just a noob to EFI tuning but I'm also running a 6.0. At this point no cam yet but a sheet metal manifold,
    stock TB, custom CAI and long tube headers. This is in a race car and my logs show about 32 lb/min air flow.
    I think with the stock manifold and the cam you are possibly in the ball park on air flow.

As I said I am a beginner at tuning so please don't flame me for my .02 worth
    32lbs per min is 241 g/sec. at at approx full load that would be 4.600 rpm at 89% eff. When exactly are you getting that much flow? Certainly not at an idle unless you have a 32 liter motor.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    32lbs per min is 241 g/sec. at at approx full load that would be 4.600 rpm at 89% eff. When exactly are you getting that much flow? Certainly not at an idle unless you have a 32 liter motor.
    He's referencing the original post. The OP mentioned that his application was approaching 30-31 lbs/min at WOT in the upper rpm range. That seems to be a reasonable number for these applications.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by swsmotorsports View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the help on the last thread!
    At WOT at 5000-6000RPM, the maf is reading in the 30-31 LB/Min range. !
    gen 3 5.3 truck intake, same cam, long tubes, at 5700 rpm it's pulling 33.70 lb/min.
    hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    If I'm totally accurate the air flow is 240.5 g/sec (31.8 lb/min) this is at 5400 RPM.
    I don't think a 32 liter motor would fit in my car but it would look impressive
    81 Malibu Wagon
    Specs:
    Stock 6.0 LQ9 1 3/4 Long Tubes
    Sheet metal Manifold, Custom 4" CAI
    TH350 Trans 8 1/2" Diff 4.10 & Spool
    3200 Stall Torque
    Best time 1/8 mile - 8.05 @ 85MPH