Thread: 5.7L and Wideband Sensor Help

Potential Tuner

5.7L and Wideband Sensor Help

I am wanting to add Wideband sensors to my restomod. Looking for guidance before I purchase any parts.

Build Details:
    -69 Roadrunner
    -5.7L Mopar Perf Crate Engine
    -A833 Manual Transmission
    -Long Tube Headers w/ O2 sensors extensions pigtails
    -Untouched stock tune (for now)

Does an aftermarket Wideband sensor exist that plugs directly into the factory Mopar Perf wiring harness?

Would you recommend replacing both factory O2 sensors for tuning?

Thank you

Tuner
    Uncertain of a direct replacement, we usually use the universal method and leave your previous connector wired and plugged in with heat shielding or smurf tubing covering it for future service. The wires are individually connected with solder, shrink wrap up and zipped tied to the coverings.

Tuner
    What is the intent behind wanting to add Wideband senors? Are you installing stand-alone AFR gauges?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rich s View Post
    What is the intent behind wanting to add Wideband senors? Are you installing stand-alone AFR gauges?
    The lc2 from innovation tech allows for simulating a narrowband output with one of its aux output wires, its entirely possible to swap one of the banks with the Wideband if you set it up right. Honestly though, I'd only go that route if you have no access to welding or a friend to weld it for you

I should probably mention that there isnt really any reason to connect a wideband directly in to the wiring harness of the 5.7, its expecting a voltage out between (if memory serves) .5 and 1.1ish as its signal on the wire, what a wideband will read out is gonna give different voltages, and even if you found one that was the same, the pcm wouldn't really behave differently even with the more accurate sensor (its coded to operate in basically "bangbang" mode, or on/off, to adjust the airfuel, itd just be spending money to do nothing).
    Adding a wideband is usually done as a third sensor on the exhaust, although you can replace one and simulate a narrowband signal to the ECU with some (like the one I mentioned) but honestly..its just not worth the effort unless you already know how to solder one in and set up the outputs when its cheaper to have a muffler guy weld in an extra bung for a wideband than an electrician wire in the simulation setup and paying someone to set up the software side... take the easy route and just add a bung, run the extra wire to the dash or tuner laptop yourself, and you'll be good. I know I used to think wideband was "better " because its more accurate, and there's NO good literature out there that's easily accessible about how these dang things all actually work, but basically the ecu wouldn't know how to interpret the difference.
    Last edited by Israfil; 04-16-2023 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Figured I was leaving out important info that someone wouldn't just know without researching deeply.