Thread: Need Help with LM-1

Need Help with LM-1

I got my Lm1 wideband in today and have a few questions for yall. I don't have the pro interface, but still need to get this thing wired up. I know I can use the ac pressure sensor wiring to get the siganl logged through Hp tuners, but what wire on the analog output from the lm1 box do I use. There are 3. White, Red and a ground. What do I need to do with those? I have the serial cable that would connect directly to my laptop, but then it would not log in Hp tuners, would it?
    98 F150

Advanced Tuner
    White wire is analog output 1, red wire is output 2.

Wire output 2 to your red a/c sensor wire...

Then you need to connect the LM-1 to LMProgrammer using the laptop. Got to the Output 2 tab, and select "Use air-fuel-ratio" then enter 5 volts at 18 AFR on the top, then 0.00 Volts at 10 AFR on he bottom...

Then set your stoich value to 14.68

*EDIT: Before clicking "Program" click on the "Advanced" button, select 1/6 sec Response Speed.

Then click "Program"...
    Last edited by stone; 02-05-2007 at 04:38 PM.

So I still have to run the innovate software? I can't just wire the box to the ac pressure sensor and have hpt log everything? What about the other 2 wires coming out of the handheld...do I need to do anything with those?
    98 F150

Advanced Tuner
    You have to program the output to send a 0-5v signal from 10-18 AFR when you first get it. After that you wont need to keep it connected to LMProgrammer...you should also update the LM Programmer software..

The black wire should be grounded to whatever the PCM grounds to...in your case, Ground it right on the chassis by your battery where we hooked up my wideband...

The white wire, just leave it hanging but make sure it is taped off so it doesnt touch anything and short something out..

I figured out why your car wouldnt richen up...it has an additional VE table. I forgot '98s have a secondary VE table you have t0 edit. When we changed the Primary VE, we should have done the sme on the secondary....If you dont, no changes will happen...it will run the same since we were in SD Open Loop.

Another thing is you need to set the MAF DTC to"1 Mil on First Error"...that caused it to stay in closed loop I think..

When tuning with your AFR Error % histogram...

1. before logging you need to copy your primary VE and paste it to your secondary VE & save the file

2. Then do a "Rewrite Calibration Only"

3. Log your AFR Error % for 30 minutes or so

4. Right-click on your histogram and select "Load All Data"

5. Then copy-paste special - multipy by % - Half Your Error %'s to the primary VE

5. Then copy the finished primary VE back to the secondary VE.

The only problem is the secondary VE isnt plotted the same way as the Primary..you need to use the excel doc I attached to create a secondary from a primary.

6. Save the file again, then do a "Rewrite Calibration Only" again.

7. Repeat as necessary until AFR Errr %'s are 0's and 1's...

Any questions?
    Last edited by stone; 02-06-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Just unplug the maf if you want to tune the VE table. Disable closed loop by setting the enable temp really high.And change the stoich AFR to 14.68 and the open loop table to 1.00 at operating temp. I would set the PE EQ vs. RPM table to 1.13 (13.0 AFR).

No need for an Excel spread sheet, just copy the even numbered map kpa rows from the primary VE table to the secondary VE table.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Also before logging you need to do this to keep it in Speed Density Open Loop Lemme explain it a little better:

1. Under Fuel Cutoff/DFCO set DFCO enable normal to 284*. This will keep the PCM from pulling fuel during a hard decel and throwing off the AFR Error table.

2. Under Fuel Control-Open & Closed loop open “Open Loop EQ Ratio” and set all cells to 1.0

3. Disable your Long Term Fuel Trims.

4. Also, in the Closed Loop Enable Coolant Temp vs IAT set them all to 284* to keep it out of Closed Loop.

5. Under Engine>Fuel Control>COT>Lean Cruise set COT to disabled if it isnt already.

6. Copy the whole High Octane table to Low Octane table.

7. Under Engine Diag > Airflow > set the MAF Fail High Frequency to 0 if it isnt already.

8. Rewrite Calibration Only

9. Unplug MAF sensor just ot be sure.

10. Log your AFR Error %. Copy-Paster Special- Mult. by % AFR Error to your Primary VE.

11. Use the excel calculator to make a secondary VE from the Primary VE. Paste it from Excel to your secondary.

12. Rewrite Calibration Only

Repeat Steps 10-12 as necessary.

After your AFR Error % is all 1's and 0's, your are pretty much done. Then just rturn your DFCO, COT, MAF Fail High, Open Loop F/A vs Coolant Temp vs Map, Closed Loop Enable Coolant Temp vs IAT back to stock, unless you are going to stay in SD Mode...in whic case you just change the DFCO, Open Loop F/A back to stock and leave the others as is...

Advanced Tuner
    It's only a tad more difficult because it is a '98...

If you could upgrade to a 2 Bar SD custom OS it would get rid of that secondary table and make tuning a whole lot easier..plus it adds RTT

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Just unplug the maf if you want to tune the VE table. Disable closed loop by setting the enable temp really high.And change the stoich AFR to 14.68 and the open loop table to 1.00 at operating temp. I would set the PE EQ vs. RPM table to 1.13 (13.0 AFR).

No need for an Excel spread sheet, just copy the even numbered map kpa rows from the primary VE table to the secondary VE table.

Russ Kemp
    Eh, Im lazy I dont want to have to copy and paste each one...the doc does it for you in like 10 seconds vs 1 minute or less...

lol Im lazy arent I Russ?

Advanced Tuner
    Oops I posted the mockup one lol..

Heres the right one:
    Last edited by stone; 02-06-2007 at 02:22 PM.

I don't see the advantage of your spread sheet. It is very quick & easy to click and copy on the even numbered map kpa rows of the primary table, then paste to the matching rows of the secondary table. I have both VE tables open at the same time when copying & pasting.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Copy & Paste the whole Primary to the spreadsheet..

Copy the Secondary from the Excel doc to the Secondary VE in the tune.

Thats a lot less clicking than copying each row one at a time....maybe you saw the first one I accidentally posted? It was an old mockup of the sheet lol.

4 clicks for each row X 9 rows = 36 clicks.

My way is only like 10-15 clicks if you already have the excel doc open...

Check it out again you'll see what I mean...
    Last edited by stone; 02-06-2007 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stone
    Another thing is you need to set the MAF DTC to"1 Mil on First Error"...that caused it to stay in closed loop I think..
    Which MAF one do I change? There are 3 of them. Performance, sensor circuit low frequency, and sensor circuit high frequency.
    98 F150

Advanced Tuner
    Change all three to "0 - Mil on 1st Error."

Advanced Tuner
    Also, if you don't want the check engine light to display when tuning with the MAF unplugged, Uncheck the "SES Enable" boxes next to theMAF Codes. If you would rather is show the check engine light...leave them checked if they are already...

So I have to copy every other line form the primary VE in to the Secondary VE? And while I have the wideband hooked up I need to have it in SD mode by changing all those things you mentioned before? Hey Calvin Im probably gonna call you sometime saturday after I get my injectors and fuel pump in so that you can walk me through it. Kinda confused right now. Well back to studying for finance. Shoot me now!
    98 F150

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah you got it...

Every time you finish logging your AFR Error %, you want to copy the AFR Error % table and paste-mult. by % - Half to the Primary. Then copy each corrosponding row from the primary into the secondary VE(or use the spreadsheet..)

Reflash, then log some more

No problem man, call any time, I'll be around..

Why only by half % in the primary? I thought you only said to do that once I was getting close to the right numbers.
    98 F150

Advanced Tuner
    if you're above -10 or +10, then do it by the full % anything inbetween would be by 1/2...ie -23 would be by % +4 would be by 1/2%

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah once you get +/- 1 10 start doing it by Half %.

Some spots were off by like 20's so you could do the full % for a couple logs untill its closer...