Thread: Care to look at a newbs tune?

Tuner in Training

Care to look at a newbs tune?

SO I am new here but not completely new to HP Tuners. Last car I had MPVI2, now I have a 3 and can't connect or read.
    So I used a shops MPVI2 to pull my tune. That is why I have no datalog, I should have borrowed it for a run but didn't.
    Find tune attached, and see if anything looks way off?

OK got a log added finally, can someone help please?
    LM7
    78/75 VSR? Turbo
    Elgin 1840 cam
    SEP 100lb injectors
    AEM wideband
    Boost referenced fpr
    Holley Sniper intake manifold and TB
    4l80e
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Scottietoohottie; 03-07-2023 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added log file

Tuner in Training
    OK finally got my new MPVI3 sent back to me from HPTuners. They never told me what was wrong or how they fixed it, kind of ignored me but I got it today and it works.
    I am adding a log here.
    Hopefully someone can take a look and help me out?

Senior Tuner
    Unfortunately, there's not enough information in that datalog to help you.

Do you have a wideband on it?

I can tell you that the IAT isn't working...likely because the MAF isn't connected.
    If that's the case, you can connect an F-body IAT.

I can also tell you that it is commanding quite a bit of timing at WOT...18-19 degrees at 4000 rpm+.
    I wouldn't recommend running much boost on pump gas with that timing table.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you. It is an SD tuned. I'll check IAT sensor. I'll also hook my wideband up.

Tuner in Training
    So playing around today I flashed a different tune, then immediately flashed old tune back on and my idle issue is gone.
    Still can't build more than 1.5psi without it acting like it's breaking up.
    I noticed nothing from IAT sensor so ordered a Ride, supposed to be the best and fast.
    I'm buying these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...RoCqYUQAvD_BwE
    To replace the SEP injectors and a Walbro 450 to replace the 225.
    Then heading to a tuner.

ditch the dw injectors and go with fic or id
    what is plug gap set to? dont think your blowing it out but its a stepping stone

Tuner in Training
    Tuner recommends the dw injectors so I'll go that route. I bought the truck with plugs gapped at .040, I replaced them with TR6 at .028 Also replaced wires.

Tuner in Training
    So the IAT sensor was dead. I replaced it with a Rife. Started car and the Rife started out at 14 degrees Fahrenheit and climbed into the 30s.
    I recalibrated with their table and all was good on restart. Showed temps in 60s right away.

Will drive it around tomorrow.

Tuner in Training
    Ran it today with new scaled IAT. I could actually get into boost finally. Could someone look at my latest log? I am hooking up my wideband tomorrow but actually getting somewhere.3rd sierra BOOST.hpl

I have a turbo 5.3 4wd truck with an e1840p cam. Mine has ported heads and flat tops with 10.1:1 compression but will be similar to this one. I've been to 20psi on mine. I need some more info on your setup tho to lead you in the right direction. mine is running decap flow matched flex injectors that have worked great for me and a buddies turbo suburban for a long time. shoot me a PM and I can get you in the right direction. @cstbbowerman on youtube you can see a couple shorts I took of the truck for reference.
    Last edited by bbowerman; 03-07-2023 at 08:43 PM.

Tuner in Training
    What info would you need? I did put what I know in first post. I did find the dead IAT and fixing that was a huge help.
    Going to hook up wideband to MPVI3 tomorrow.

what size turbo is on it? what brand wideband do you have? does it have a boost reference fuel pressure regulator or is it on stock rails? is it a stock 3 bolt intake and throttle body? those are a good start

same turbo I have on mine then. mine is the 1.25 ar backhousing. how does the truck startup currently? does it start and idle fine or is that problematic right now also?

Tuner in Training
    Start up and idle WAS problematic. It is fine now. Cause was dead IAT sensor. I replaced and scaled a Rife sensor and it now starts and idles fine.

okay cool so you are somewhat close there. there are a few things you are going to need to do in vcm scanner to log the correct pids in order to get the data you need to get it dialed in. I will PM you.

Tuner in Training
    I really appreciate the help Billy. Getting there!

Tuner in Training

Unhappy

Getting frustrated. Using EQ error histogram and this thing stays rich.