Thread: p59 24x swap 1992 GMC Typhoon 4.3

Potential Tuner

p59 24x swap 1992 GMC Typhoon 4.3

I'm working on building a harness to swap my GMC Typhoon over to a better tuning option without going stand alone, looking for some collective minds for collaboration on what file should be used for starting point. I'm familiar with seg swaps and full tuning of various platforms. Lets see what are minds can assemble as a starting point. I've got numerous P01 and P59 with IAC chip type ecu's. and have plenty of files I can use. I've tuned close to 275-300 vehicles. I'm just wanting ideas and informed minds to speak up and see all the options could be. I don't know everything, but i was once told by a old wiser man "if you don't learn something new everyday be it small or large i wasn't listening or trying"

4.3L turbo TD06-17 with 6+6 48mm compressor wheel
    currently at 18psi but i have pushed it to 23psi but not very efficient with inlet temps when over working stock turbo
    4L60/700r4 3.42 gears future may hold a 4L60/65 or 4L80e
    I'll be wanting flex and leaning mostly towards P59
    already have AFPR set at 50psi and Racetronix rxp255 Fuel pump kit
    i have spare set 52# LS7 injectors that also work great in my '95 LT1 stroker rockin the opti still LOL
    Last edited by blackbird4466; 02-09-2023 at 10:30 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird4466 View Post
    I'm working on building a harness to swap my GMC Typhoon over to a better tuning option without going stand alone, looking for some collective minds for collaboration on what file should be used for starting point. I'm familiar with seg swaps and full tuning of various platforms. Lets see what are minds can assemble as a starting point. I've got numerous P01 and P59 with IAC chip type ecu's. and have plenty of files I can use. I've tuned close to 275-300 vehicles. I'm just wanting ideas and informed minds to speak up and see all the options could be. I don't know everything, but i was once told by a old wiser man "if you don't learn something new everyday be it small or large i wasn't listening or trying"

4.3L turbo TD06-17 with 6+6 48mm compressor wheel
    currently at 18psi but i have pushed it to 23psi but not very efficient with inlet temps when over working stock turbo
    4L60/700r4 3.42 gears future may hold a 4L60/65 or 4L80e
    I'll be wanting flex and leaning mostly towards P59
    already have AFPR set at 50psi and Racetronix rxp255 Fuel pump kit
    i have spare set 52# LS7 injectors that also work great in my '95 LT1 stroker rockin the opti still LOL
    I have a 2005 4.3L Astro DBC P59 file (OS ending in 618) if you want it. I prefer the P59 myself. Have one running my L31 based 383 in my Express on E85. Also have an 03 4.3L Express file I read off a Junkyard PCM.

That is a non balance shaft engine? If so should be able to use a Holley Aluminum L31 timing cover, 3x 4.3L reluctor, vortec balancer and a vortec distributor.

You will obviously need to rewire the intercooler pump and figure out boost control. Also use a custom 3 bar speed density operating system.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 02-10-2023 at 02:04 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Post the files for sure, I'm thinking I can utilize the egr programming section for intercooler pump control. I've been looking at the covers and 3x reluctors @ EFI connections, dizzy I can get from anywhere. I'll have to do some research about crank pulley/dampener for balance reasons since I don't have the balance shaft W or X engine. I have thought about swapping to a W L35 engine and just bolting typhoon intake plenum on. But that would be worst case option.

I have a custom 3bar os with dual fuel table for better resolution in ve tables but it's based around a v8 os, so might have some issues with algorithms running a v6. I'll have to see where and who's software that can apply it to a v6 segment. I know HP tuners wasn't behind it far as I know. Might have been EFI live custom. HP tuners can read and write the file so may learn something. I can post it shortly.HPT - P59 Dual VE EFI COS3 03 405 OS 6.0L 4l80e DBC Flex 52#ls9.hpt
    Last edited by blackbird4466; 02-10-2023 at 09:42 AM.