Thread: Write transfer time out

Potential Tuner

Write transfer time out

I encountered an issue with the MPVI2 that i purchased. I'll give a little background of the ecu / setup for context.

The setup is a 2001 LS1 / T56 with a PO1 ecu that was previously flashed by wiring specialties (just basic VATS delete / CEL / SMOG). Car currently runs and drives. Wiring harness is a thinned-out F-body harness. Battery is fully charged and, on a charger, when I am attempting to flash. Laptop battery is charged. Cable has been swapped several times. VCM scanner is confirmed not running in the background. I am attempting to flash with a two universal credits.

I can pull the map with VCM suite, make changes, but when i go to flash the percentage never goes past zero, and will eventually error with a "write transfer time out". I have attempted to write entire and write calibration. I have also attempted to flash a stock map from the repository. I have submitted a trouble ticket with HPtuners, but I figured I would post on here in case anyone has any ideas.

A battery charger is not the same thing as a battery maintainer/power supply. A battery charger can do weird things with the voltage that are totally fine and 'correct' for charging a battery, but that you definitely do not want happening while flashing.

Potential Tuner
    That is a good point. I should add that I have attempted to flash with a known good battery reading 13.5ish volts, monitoring voltage during the flash with no joy.

I am wondering if this is possibly a licensing issue between the license used to initially flash, and the license I have now? But I'm open to suggestions.

The license is stored only in the interface, it's nowhere in the PCM. Doesn't matter if it's been licensed before by somebody else with a different interface.

Potential Tuner
    That great news! I guess I'm still open to suggestions.

Vehicle completely stock? No aftermarket electronics, like radio?

Potential Tuner
    Vehicle is a 1987 Rx7 Turbo with a thinned-out F-body harness and a PO1 running an LS1.

Senior Tuner
    Have you tried reading the vehicle? Does the scanner connect?

Potential Tuner
    Yes i can read the map and datalog using VCM scanner, but cannot write without the above mentioned error.

Tuner
    Could this be "tuner locked" ?
    Gen3 L59/4L60E LS3 cast manifolds, Small Cam change, 2800 Convertor, MPVI, using MTX-L for wideband tuning

Senior Tuner
    Cant read tuner locked PCMs. Locking changes the seed/key which HP Tuners needs to read as well as write.

Potential Tuner
    Here is a fun twist. I pulled the P01 from the car and put it into my gmt800, once connected i was able to read AND write with no issues. Now i am assuming this is a wiring harness issue of some sort?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HMISPEED View Post
    Here is a fun twist. I pulled the P01 from the car and put it into my gmt800, once connected i was able to read AND write with no issues. Now i am assuming this is a wiring harness issue of some sort?
    Yep! That confirms it.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Cant read tuner locked PCMs. Locking changes the seed/key which HP Tuners needs to read as well as write.
    Still learning all this stuff !
    Gen3 L59/4L60E LS3 cast manifolds, Small Cam change, 2800 Convertor, MPVI, using MTX-L for wideband tuning

Potential Tuner
    Issue resolved. I found that the switched 12V power i was providing the ECU with had a pretty nasty voltage drop. Rewired switched power to a confirmed solid 12V source and was able to write with no issues. Wild.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I had a similar issue with my ctsv where the write would time out after it erased the previous tune. I have to pull the audio fuse and turn off all the electrical loads when writing now, gave me a pretty good scare though.

Potential Tuner
    I encountered an issue with the MPVI2 that i purchased. I'll give a little background of the ecu / setup for context.

The setup is a 2001 LS1 / T56 with a PO1 ecu that was previously flashed by wiring specialties (just basic VATS delete / CEL / SMOG). Car currently runs and drives. Wiring harness is a thinned-out F-body harness. Battery is fully charged and, on a charger, when I am attempting to flash. Laptop battery is charged. Cable has been swapped several times. VCM scanner is confirmed not running in the background. I am attempting to flash with a two universal credits.

I can pull the map with VCM suite, make changes, but when i go to flash the percentage never goes past zero, and will eventually error with a "write transfer time out". I have attempted to write entire and write calibration. I have also attempted to flash a stock map from the repository. I have submitted a trouble ticket with HPtuners, but I figured I would post on here in case anyone has any ideas.
    I am having the same issue with my 2004 2500 with an LQ4. How did you solve your issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradly View Post
    I am having the same issue with my 2004 2500 with an LQ4. How did you solve your issue?
    Issue resolved. I found that the switched 12V power i was providing the ECU with had a pretty nasty voltage drop. Rewired switched power to a confirmed solid 12V source and was able to write with no issues. Wild.
    If it were to turn out that your truck has the exact same problem at the exact same location as whatever he found on his, you'd better go buy a damn lottery ticket like right now. (in other words, extremely super ultra unlikely)

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradly View Post
    Your 2004 model has a P59 computer. It's a different animal than the OP's P01. On your application, try removing the Radio fuse and the Radio Amp fuse. If that doesn't work, uncheck the high speed read/write option and try again.