Thread: LS swap starting PCM/Stock tune

Tuner in Training

LS swap starting PCM/Stock tune

Is there any reason to start with a different base tune? What I mean is a 2000 stock tune verse a 2002 stock tune, etc... I just got HPtuners, I assume it can flash any tune on the p01 that it supports?

Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    Is there any reason to start with a different base tune? What I mean is a 2000 stock tune verse a 2002 stock tune, etc... I just got HPtuners, I assume it can flash any tune on the p01 that it supports?

Thanks
    There can be several advantages. If I am working on a swap that requires a P01 computer, I'd start with the 2002 model OS...typically 12212156 OS.
    A couple of the primary advantages are that the e-fans will work properly on the later OS. (They won't work properly on some of the 99-00 model OS's.)
    It will also eliminate the secondary VE table that on the earlier OS.

Senior Tuner
    I agree, I'd shoot for a 2002 F body if your starting from scratch.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Thanks! The PCM I have is a 2000, can HPtuners flash the 2002 12212156 OS on to it?

Senior Tuner
    Yes but it will require 4 credits. You always have to have a license for what is in the PCM and what you are writing to it. Usually what you are flashing is based off what was read so they are the same base files. In your case they would be different. So each would require a separate license. 2 credits each.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Yes but it will require 4 credits. You always have to have a license for what is in the PCM and what you are writing to it. Usually what you are flashing is based off what was read so they are the same base files. In your case they would be different. So each would require a separate license. 2 credits each.

Can you just flash the 12212156 OS over without buying the license for the stock 2000 OS? Seems odd to buy a license for an OS you aren't using. Can the 12212156 OS support flex fuel or is that different OS only? I am not sure what the segment swap stuff does. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    Can you just flash the 12212156 OS over without buying the license for the stock 2000 OS? Seems odd to buy a license for an OS you aren't using. Can the 12212156 OS support flex fuel or is that different OS only? I am not sure what the segment swap stuff does. Thanks
    No and no. Well not with HP Tuners.