Thread: Battery died while trying to program

Potential Tuner

Battery died while trying to program

Battery went dead while trying to use a hypertech tuner on my 98 z28 Camaro automatic .. Now car will not start, just cranks and the tuner says :
    the programming was interrupted, scans its memory and does a self check, then tries to restart programming and then I get a Code 6: restart scanner if message repeat call hyper tech ..

Anyone know what options I'm left with? Thanks in advance

Sell that hypertech and get a real tune… probably bricked the ECM though

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Potential Tuner
    All I was trying to do was remove top speed limit and fan temps 😟.. Any chance of a reflash or something saving it?

98 is oddball ECM already and has a chance to brick even with everything right..
    I’d call hypertech first and see what they say since it’s there software and not Hp tuners

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Potential Tuner
    I plan to call asap when they open, trying to get ahead of this dumb problem 😞 thank you for the replies

Senior Tuner
    It's bricked and not recoverable. Your only option is to find another 98 PCM and have it programmed with your vehicle's calibration or swap it for a P01 PCM which is not the easiest to do since it involves relocating about every wire in both connectors and then you have to know the tricks to get the gas gauge to read correctly. and transfer some 98 only specs to the 99-02 calibration that you will have to put in the P01. You will have to have HP Tuners to do that plus credits to license everything. Those costs are going to add up quickly plus have the knowledge to do it. Your PCM is a one year F-body PCM and 2 year (97-98) Vette PCM. Either one can be programmed for your car even though the 97 Vette will have a different service number. Those PCMs are getting pretty rare and if you find one is going to be pricey. Probably not what you want to hear but it is what it is.

Potential Tuner
    Yes that's the last thing I need now, I have a first child on the way and my wifes company shut down totally unexpected and unemployment won't give her anything, and for me my.work is slower than ever. Hard times, this is the last problem we need, really hits home hard 😟

Tuner in Training doctorbigblock's Avatar
    What IS Service Number on ECM?

Senior Tuner
    98 F-bady PCMs are typically 16238212.They are physically different than a 4896 or 0411 even though they are still a red/blue connector.

https://www.fs1inc.com/16238212-1998...oCMDwQAvD_BwE#
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 01-22-2023 at 10:24 AM.