Thread: 2018 F150 4700rpm fuel limit only at WOT

2018 F150 4700rpm fuel limit only at WOT

I've tried almost everything to get this truck to rev higher than 4500rpm. Truck has headers and gen 3 mustang intake mani, other than that its stock. Truck came to us from another shop with the issue and no idea why it started. Supposedly it ran fine at the track and sat for a year waiting for turbo build that didn't happen and started issue when he picked it up after putting a new battery in it. It will allow any RPM at part throttle but will cut fuel above 4500rpm only at WOT.
    Never seen this before on identical trucks/mods. Something seems different.
    We reprogrammed PCM to stock twice doing any new updates through Ford software, no change, replaced PCM and reprogrammed all modules again and nothing changed.
    The truck should technically run pretty good without any changes to the tune other than maybe reconfiguring IMRC scales.
    With Mustang or Truck IMRC settings it still cuts at 4500-4800rpm. Nothing shows up in a log as a limit, the truck just hits a wall and reduces injector PW.

If I disable all IPC related control/reports as a test it does the same thing on the street, UNLESS I PUT THE TRUCK IN DYNO MODE AND STRAP TO DYNO THEN IT WILL RUN AND SHIFT AS COMMANDED.... If you unstrap it making 0 changes and make a street hit the issue is back again. As a test I strapped it to dyno, made WOT hit with no issue, never killed the truck, unstrapped it and floored it in the driveway, issue is back again. Almost as if its wheel speed related.
    So, went back on the dyno and calibrated wheel speed data to make speedo and Dyno speed read identical, verified with GPS on road and issue still there didn't change anything.

I attached the file and log in it right now. Its basically stock with mustang IMRC data, fuel cut limits raised, Trans limits raised higher than needed. The truck should be capable of running the factory shift points in this file without any other changes since its pretty much stock.
    Any Ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

A lot ot trans limiters still there:
    image.png

Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    A lot ot trans limiters still there:
    image.png
    I agree with you that these could be limiters, I have in previous tests gone through and set these up and didn't have any luck. Definitely will won't ignore an idea at this point, will give it a shot again. Just seems very odd to have to alter the transmission tune just so it will shift at stock transmission shift points. I know Ford didn't send these trucks out not capable of shifting at full throttle.

Not trying to push this truck at all just want to see it actually shift at stock shift points. Putting another file together now to test your pointers. Will post the tune and log to see if you see something I haven't.
    Last edited by silverbullet08; 01-17-2023 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added info

$100 bounty to make it run stock shift points

Raised the trans side to what normally works for a 8krpm shift and didn't make a difference. Went higher in a few other areas with no changes. Went in and made all shift schedules the same and populated all OSS rpms to correct values for a factory 6200rpm shift and made no difference. Did get "RPM LIMIT SOURCE" to change one time to "INJ LIMIT" from "IN GEAR LIMIT" but will not repeat that to get a log of it. Injector DC on both sides don't seem to be getting up in any ranges that would be fuel limit, did try moving DI/PI splits around incase and didn't make a difference nor did it ever give me inj limit again.

I'll send a $100 bounty to anyone that can make this thing rev out and shift at stock shift points. This is the last file I tested that didn't have some crazy2018 F150 All shifts same raised tcm limits.hpt oddball info in it.

try this
    Was hoping you saw something different but still cutting out before shift point. Attached the log. First pull was just rolling in and stab. Second pull manually held in 1st gear and brought rpm up to about 5500 at part throttle then stabbed it and immediately cuts. Thats what has me confused.
    Last edited by silverbullet08; 01-18-2023 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added info about log

In gear limit means all good - not sure what you are looking for? Your log is not displaying TB angle and Spark Source. No pedal % either. Add driver demand limit source too.

You have load 0,4 on 5600 rpm it looks like TB is closing but we cant tell. Super charger limit is hitting might be other limiters blocking, noting related to RPM.

Try this

In gear limit means all good - not sure what you are looking for? Your log is not displaying TB angle and Spark Source. No pedal % either. Add driver demand limit source too.

You have load 0,4 on 5600 rpm it looks like TB is closing but we cant tell. Super charger limit is hitting might be other limiters blocking, noting related to RPM.

Try this
    I added the other channels. I guess I deleted those for some reason. Driver demand limit source was in there on last log, I show a pedal % on my side but I added accel pedal % in this one also. Still same cut.

Just noticed you were asking what I was looking for. Not looking for anything special to make any extra power or anything, Just want to make it shift at full throttle at the factory shift points like a factory truck should.

In this log it looks like TB angle actually stays open with Acc pedal but the map starts to drop at 3900rpm and then just tanks at 4400rpm but TB is still open?? Maybe that's the wrong throttle angle PID?
    Last edited by silverbullet08; 01-18-2023 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet08 View Post
    I added the other channels. I guess I deleted those for some reason. Driver demand limit source was in there on last log, I show a pedal % on my side but I added accel pedal % in this one also. Still same cut.
    Ok i see, your SD drops to 0.2 commanding fuel cut just not sure why. Add mapped point to the log. Now I can see it.

Try this.

2018 F150 All shifts same raised tcm limits.hpt

Ok i see, your SD drops to 0.2 commanding fuel cut just not sure why. Add mapped point to the log. Now I can see it.

Try this.

2018 F150 All shifts same raised tcm limits.hpt
    Looks like with MPs the log rate dropped pretty low. Still usable data but little slow. I'm not sure if this is consistent to what I saw but it seemed like when I played with the calc map max values or map max vs airmass in the SD tab the truck started to get a misfire on startup and at idle. When I went back to the oem values the misfire disappeared. It came back again after that flash. It shows cylinder 5 so I'm putting a new coil and plug in that cylinder right now. It clears up usually when it gets rolling but a new coil and plug couldn't hurt as a test. I'll have that swapped in the next 5 mins to avoid anything adding to the situation.

No, you dont need max map over baro - this will never see boost but being MAP controlled car might not like anything over MAP 1,0 even 0,1.
    Your SD drops to low values like anticipation learning something funny. This is usually a problem with MAF cars as they are not calibrated properly.
    Might be this was a data poling issue, hard to say. In the last log nothing is cutting so this might be mechanical.

Only this I see it throwing a stupid amount of spark going from borderline to BASE. Might be poling issue once again.

Add lift pump and rail pressure to the log.

No, you dont need max map over baro - this will never see boost but being MAP controlled car might not like anything over MAP 1,0 even 0,1.
    Your SD drops to low values like anticipation learning something funny. This is usually a problem with MAF cars as they are not calibrated properly.
    Might be this was a data poling issue, hard to say. In the last log nothing is cutting so this might be mechanical.

Only this I see it throwing a stupid amount of spark going from borderline to BASE. Might be poling issue once again.

Add lift pump and rail pressure to the log.
    I may have it figured out. Running a couple more logs right now to verify. Looks like it is mechanical but brings up a very interesting question. Will report all this info in a few.

Anyone know what the difference is between these two throttle bodies? Both identical part numbers "all 10 dif numbers they have on them" one has multiple dimples on the plastic case and one doesn't. One has a larger plastic protrusion in the center but very small difference in the protrusion. The one without the dimples is a 2018 mustang. Both measure identical. With the mustang TB bolted up truck runs fine like stock and shifts. With the other it cuts out, no codes, no idle changes, no tune changes whatsoever. Weird thing is both key on test perfect sweeps from closed to WOT and hold WOT as long as you have it floored. SOOO are we not getting a real TB% PID? I did a log with every throttle body PID we have available including sources "deleted everything else to increase log rate" and none of them report back as a throttle closure when it shuts down nor a source change. Truck works now but has me thinking.
    Attached Images Attached Images