Thread: 2001 5.3 stage 1 cam starts on second try and hard to start when hot

Tuner

2001 5.3 stage 1 cam starts on second try and hard to start when hot

Having an issue with startup.

1962 impala mendoza updated prime pulse.hpt
    new timing and new injector data.hpl

Usually starts when cold on first try. When it starts getting up to temp it takes a second try. Then when it is up to running temp it is very hard to start.
    things i tried
    1. moved idle timing and startup timing
    2. moved prime pulse up and down
    3. moved first pulse up and down
    4. moved second pulse up and down
    5. changed the fuel injector data a bit to what another tune had that i could find.
    6. moved cranking ve up and down. can tell when it gets rich for shure.

Runs good other wise, after it cranks.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you dialed in VE with wideband? Normally when i have this issue it is either too rich at idle or dont have enough idle airflow. Use the scanner to see where your ltit and stit are at both idling in gear and also park.

Tuner
    Looks like you have too lean commanded cranking AFR. You have ~0.85 EqRatio during first cranking.

Try messing with [ECM] 12320 and [ECM] 12321. Limit them to 1.25 minimum for the first try.
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs

Tuner
    Adding to the 2 tables helped but it didnt remove it. But what I did find after turning the LTFT back on is that all the injector wires are in the wrong place. Like 1 and 2 are actually 6 and 3. But 5 is 5 and 7 is 7. I?m stunned that it even drove the ten miles I put on it.

You also need the MAF to fail straight away if this is a speed density tune. Set all 3 MAF dtc's to MIL on first error to go straight into speed density.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

With a "stage 1" cam, I wouldnt think you should be too far off from stock on cranking fueling. One thing that I have seen cause the exact same symptoms you described is a leaking check valve in the fuel pump. Not sure why they seem to leak when hot and start fine cold, but have run into this on two separate occasions. Unless has been verified already, maybe worth putting a diagnostic fuel gauge on the rail fitting and making sure the fuel pressure isnt dropping immediately after key-off, and is building on key-on.

Tuner

Fixed most issues but another has reared its head.

Ok So I got the wiring straight now. I have gotten it to start and idle. Still have to work on trims and maf more but it is running better...until.

This file:last drive misfire then restart and no misfire.hpl

On this log it starts misfiring, so i cut it off and restart, and no misfire.

This is the log before it: quartermmle.hpl

no misfires on the log before it either. LTFT was closer also. Pasted with %-1/2 and put it in.

1962 impala mendoza step 32 maf change.hpt file currently in the ecm.

Checked crank and cam sensor, already checked all the injectors, and fuel is around 59 to 60 psi. Using holley in-tank pump kit for 61-64 impala.

also trying to figure out why bank 1 is adding more than bank 2 also. smoke tester is being hooked up now.

Senior Tuner
    Something is causing the fuel trims to be way higher on bank 1. It also shows way more misfires on cyl 7 than the other cylinders. That's the most likely culprit of the fuel trim disparity.