Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything wrong with using a MAF only tune on a modified / supercharged LS3 ?

Anything wrong with using a MAF only tune on a modified / supercharged LS3 ?

2011 Corvette (LS3)
    Supercharged (7.5 PSI Boost), Headers, Mild Cam, Tuned for 93 Octane Pump Gas

Can someone here confirm that my installed dyno tune is actually a 'MAF only' tune ...

Engine / Airflow / Dynamic ...

On the stock LS3 tune, .the Dynamic Airflow 'High RPM Disable' and the 'High RPM Re-enable' was set to: . 4,000 rpm / 3,900 rpm

On my dyno tune, .the Dynamic Airflow 'High RPM Disable' and the 'High RPM Re-enable' is set to: . 100 rpm / 90 rpm

I believe this indicates that my tune is MAF only.

Your opinion ... On a modified LS3 'daily driver' such as mine, do you see anything wrong using a MAF only tune ?

Thanks,
    Ron

Senior Tuner
    always tune both as ur never fully maf only, if u get into a big throttle stomp it will use vve as thats what its there for, it also makes the drivability much better with both working right

Advanced Tuner
    IMHO the ECU still needs a good VVE calibration because it uses the VVE for transients. The MAF signal lags a bit so the ECU blends in VVE data during transient airflow conditions. The MAF signal may also be less than ideal at very low airflows.

Advanced Tuner
    While everything they said above is true, you can absolutely do a maf only tune on a boosted camaro. See signature.

And YES, thats a maf only tune if you have dynamic disabled. I've been to every tuner in South Florida, and thats what you're gonna get. For $500 no one touches the VVE table.
    2011 Camaro SS
    Thompson Motorsports Dart 427
    ESS Tuning G4 Supercharger 1158whp/1017wtq
    DSX Tuning stuff

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by justhereforinfo View Post
    While everything they said above is true, you can absolutely do a maf only tune on a boosted camaro. See signature.

And YES, thats a maf only tune if you have dynamic disabled. I've been to every tuner in South Florida, and thats what you're gonna get. For $500 no one touches the VVE table.
    Really unfortunate.. And I don't understand..By skipping the VVE stuff you are risking having odd issues with tip in, idle, etc. The best/right way seems often longer up front but almost always easier in the long run.

To answer OP. I would do the car in SD but there is no unified correct solution everyone agrees on. I'd say if you want to do it as least as good as the OEM than the VVE and MAF should be tuned.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

With my twin turbo build as others have said, it is important to have VVE adjusted for transients and off idle as well as low rpm. At least with my setup, airflow into the MAF had some turbulence due to intercooler piping design that resulted in an off idle hesitation as well as bucking during low RPM steady state. I was able to eliminate both of these by setting my MAF enablement to 2300RPM and dialing in VVE below 2300. I wasn’t as concerned with getting VVE perfect above 2300 and in open loop but it did a world of good in the lower RPM ranges for drivability.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

Here is a copy of my tune for my supercharged LS3 Corvette. If you find time, could you take a look at it and confirm that it is in fact a MAF only tune ... how does this tune look to you?

The car runs strong and has no drivability issues.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Turbo6TA; 01-03-2023 at 11:27 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Its in MAF and the VVE is not tuned
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Thanks 'Alvin'

I understand that the stock tune is a combo of both MAF and Speed Density ... Is VVE something different ?

Advanced Tuner
    VVE is speed density.

Advanced Tuner
    VVE => Virtual Volumetric Efficiency

Not a Corvette and not supercharged, but after tuning MAF & VE separately my truck was very nearly one full second quicker 0-60 just by failing the MAF. You won't ever know if yours responds the same if you never tune the VE and try it.

Advanced Tuner
    I tuned cars MAF only for years until I finally realized how much better they run with the VE (or VVE) active. There's also certain applications where the MAF by itself is not going to properly control the engine and can cause undesired transmission actions in PCM's that rely on delivered torque numbers.

Senior Tuner
    the vve/ve is like the subwoofer in a home theater setup, sure it can sound ok with just the main speakers ''maf'' but adding the sub adds depth/transition and finishes it off, maf is just airflow it dosnt know load, vve/ve is load

i had always thought that the VE or VVE could either work alongside or independently if the maf is disabled, ie-speed density? i thought/read that tuners switch over to speed density in a boosted application because the maf would be maxed out even with an aftermarket maf due to the huge volume of air from FI?

Senior Tuner
    yes VE/VVE can work alone, MAF is best not to work alone, the newer OS do have a larger hz for the MAF range so should support most applications, now days u can keep the maf and usually a bigger intake tube to slow airspeed down and tune both, back when the maf didnt flow as much or had ecu limits u would always go SD or sometimes with a large cam if its disrupting airflow at idle can be better SD as any reversion thru the maf isnt good

The MAF is really only measuring air speed, not volume, and at only one specific location in the cross section of the tube, and then making a bunch of assumptions about how much total air volume that equals. It's very very easy to go changing the plumbing and have it not work right anymore, and it's way more involved behind-the-scenes stuff than just the MAF Hz table.

Quote Originally Posted by That_guy View Post
    I tuned cars MAF only for years until I finally realized how much better they run with the VE (or VVE) active. There's also certain applications where the MAF by itself is not going to properly control the engine and can cause undesired transmission actions in PCM's that rely on delivered torque numbers.
    Mass Airflow Sensor

Senior Tuner
    Turbulence, fouling, reversion, and just plain sensor degradation are all good reasons to not rely on a MAF especially when fueling is critical like boosted applications.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com