Thread: SD only or keep MAF for NA/N2O build

Tuner in Training

SD only or keep MAF for NA/N2O build

Goofed around last year a bunch, not know what I was doing - and ended up wounding some rings in my 6.0 swapped into my 2005 RCLB 1500. Still not 100% on what I am doing, but going to go slow and learn and not tear up the new piece I'm putting together.

New engine should make 600ish crank hp NA plan on spraying 200ish hp, and should get my 4800lb pig into the 11's.

Now for the question - I bought a 4 inch MAF tube and 15865791 MAF sensor, but is it worth it? I would think that the truck MAF that's used currently would be a restriction at the power I'm trying to make. I've been reading about the swap and it appears to be pretty straight forward, but then I read posts that say I should be prepared to estimate airflow changes if I run a different tube - how the hell would I do that? How would you know the airflow to calibrate the Hz vs. Airflow tables with the data from the engine?

Once I figured out my ignition and fuel issues I was able to get the truck running very well in SD only mode - that's when I found out that I had ring seal issues and put the thing up while I built another motor. Should I just abandon the MAF and stay SD? - Truck is no longer a daily driver and will be driven once or twice a week and to and from track.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Speed density is easier if you ask me.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    What all would need to be done to keep the transmission (4l80) happy on a P59 in SD only? I've never had much of a handle on tuning the transmission - my tranny guy said to jack up the line pressure with all of the stuff he did - nothing I ever did to the calibration ever seemed to change the shift firmness. Trans shifts like an animal - barks the tires above 40% throttle it's fun but I'm sure it's not easy on the truck/parts.

Advanced Tuner
    Get a pressure gauge for the transmission and make sure the pressure is within spec.
    I would stay SD.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnerx View Post
    Tell me about it. 1st 2nd for me at anything but a crawl. The trans is shifting before the computer reduces line pressure.
    Might not be the computer, may be mechanical.