Thread: At a loss

Potential Tuner

At a loss

Hi, I recently rebuilt and swapped a 5.3 out of a 99 Silverado into a 71 Camaro and it has been passed around by multiple tuners and I am completely lost at what to do. My histograms zero out except for my spark advance table, my fuel trims are all zeroed out, my KR is zeroed out. Multiple channels are not showing info despite everything in the motor being new. Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can't open your attached files. Might be a tech issue on my end..

Advanced Tuner
    So does the engine run fine? The datalog shows it fires up and idles. What size cam?
    Are you just having issues with the Scanner?

Re-poll for supported parameters in the VCM scanner, see if stuff starts working again.

That tune needs help. The VE table is very inflated and with stock injectors, they will be maxed out with values like that.

Timing tables are set the same, not a good idea if using knock sensors. Burst knock table is set wrong, it's 100% on instead of wanting to be 100% off.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

In addition to what 5fdp states, the tune is set to run MAF only at this point. Dynamic air set to disable @ 200 RPM. Further, the SES, or check engine light, is not CHECKED or set to turn on the light if there is a problem with the MAF. Since the engine is running on MAF only, I think those boxes should be checked to alert you of any problems. Min MAP enable set to 88 KPA. BRAF is set significantly higher than a stock engine would need. No mention of if this engine has a cam. What size TB are you using? Aftermarket/performance cam? If aftermarket/performance cam, the injectors will need to be replaced as they won't support full throttle operation at all, or for very long.

Potential Tuner
    The cam is a chevrolet performance LS1 hot cam and the specs are as follows:
    Duration @ .050" Lift( Deg): Intake: 219 / Exhaust: 228
    Maximum Lift (in) W/ 1.7 Rocker: Intake: .525 / Exhaust: .525
    Lobe Centerline ( deg): 112

The throttle body is a holley sniper 92mm and the injectors are 28lb/hr injectors. The intake tube is also 4" in diameter.

For whatever reason one of the tuners did a VIN swap to a 2001 silverado not sure why. But the engine will hesitate and shut off if you give it any amount of throttle. I am just trying to get it in the ball park so I can start doing the fine tuning but the previous tuners didn't leave me with much to work with. I've already re-polled for supported parameters so I know the engine must be in open loop which explains why the fuel trims don't populate because when I force closed loop i get fuel trims but the engine revs to 2300-2500 rpm. I'm just not sure what is causing it to be in open loop despite fuel trims being enabled.
    Last edited by not_a_z28; 12-27-2022 at 07:58 AM.

O2 sensors are either not working, or it's dead lean. They're both parked at less than 50mV all the time. There are some upstream O2 codes disabled, I don't know why anyone would do that if it's still using them.

EGR DTCs are disabled but I think everything else in the other parts of the tune are still set to be using EGR. COT is disabled but enrichment is set to 0.00, not 1.00 as is usual - supposedly it ignores all that when toggled to Disabled, but, it's best to act as if logic does not always apply with these things.

If you have 28lb injectors how does it still have stock 25lb injector data in the file?

There's a bunch of dumb shit in that file for sure. And I'm not even a real tuner. I think it would be quicker to start over from stock than to try to fix everything the other guys broke.

I agree with blind squirrel.. find the correct injector data for whatever part# injectors you are using, download a STOCK tune.. put in the correct injector data, and then flash it to the vehicle and start from there. My son has that exact same cam in a 5.3L engine in his 2001 truck. We have it tuned to perfection. It starts, idles, runs, returns to idle perfectly. He has LT headers, and an off-road Y pipe, CAI, but other than that it is basically all stock. If you want a copy of that tune to try, I will gladly send it to you. Please note I'm not telling you to flash this tune then go out and attempt a long smoky burn out.. The tune would simply be a jumping off point to see if it will idle so that you can then go about tuning as you normally would.

Are you still running the vacuum regulator on the fuel rail, or have you converted over to a returnless, or Corvette fuel filter style? This is going to be important to know so that you can set up the injector data correctly in the tune.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HATEHPTUNERS View Post
    I agree with blind squirrel.. find the correct injector data for whatever part# injectors you are using, download a STOCK tune.. put in the correct injector data, and then flash it to the vehicle and start from there. My son has that exact same cam in a 5.3L engine in his 2001 truck. We have it tuned to perfection. It starts, idles, runs, returns to idle perfectly. He has LT headers, and an off-road Y pipe, CAI, but other than that it is basically all stock. If you want a copy of that tune to try, I will gladly send it to you. Please note I'm not telling you to flash this tune then go out and attempt a long smoky burn out.. The tune would simply be a jumping off point to see if it will idle so that you can then go about tuning as you normally would.

Are you still running the vacuum regulator on the fuel rail, or have you converted over to a returnless, or Corvette fuel filter style? This is going to be important to know so that you can set up the injector data correctly in the tune.
    If you could send me that tune, that would be wonderful.