Thread: 2006 Silverado v6 swapped to LM7 vin change issue

Tuner in Training

Question 2006 Silverado v6 swapped to LM7 vin change issue

I'm very new to this so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm trying to help my niece that just turned 16 and bought a 2006 Silverado that was originally a v6 but the previous owner blew it up so he swapped a 5.3 LM7 and ecu out of a 2003 silverado. It's runing pretty good ish. However, the vin on the ECU doesn't match the vehicle

I tried the Vin change wizard but got Invalid VIN/OS Pair

The OS on the current 2003 ecu is 12579405 and won't accept the trucks 2006 vin. I found a stock map for a 2006 Silverado that had an LM7 in the Repository and I tried the Change vin wizard and it would accept the new vin. The OS on this tune file is 12587811

So I just wanted to ask before I try something stupid and brick this ecu, Can I take the tune file with OS 12587811 from the repository that will accept the correct truck vin (use the compare file to keep everything the same) and load it into the 2003 ECU that currently has OS 12579405 or is this a dumb idea?

Follow up question if the answer is No, how would I get the ecu and truck vin to match? Is there a different way I'm not seeing or will I have to just find a new ecu that already has OS 12587811 ?

What's the Service Number on the current PCM? What's the correct Service Number for the tune file you want to use?

A basic parts lookup shows 2003 4.3L and 2006 5.3L take different numbers, and don't interchange. You'll need a PCM that's compatible with the 2006 tune file.

The VIN means nothing anyway, it doesn't have to match anything.

Only if for some reason the state/county you live it checks the VIN on the computer to the VIN on the dash/doors.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    What's the Service Number on the current PCM? What's the correct Service Number for the tune file you want to use?

A basic parts lookup shows 2003 4.3L and 2006 5.3L take different numbers, and don't interchange. You'll need a PCM that's compatible with the 2006 tune file.
    From what I was told, I don't have the 4.3L PCM. The previous owner sold it with the 4.3L and then he got a 5.3L and PCM out of a 2003 Silverado and put it into this 2006 Silverado. (at least that's what I was told)

The Service Number on the PCM I have is 12582605

How can/would I verify if the tune file I got out of the Repository will work with this PCM?

Thanks for your help with this!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The VIN means nothing anyway, it doesn't have to match anything.

Only if for some reason the state/county you live it checks the VIN on the computer to the VIN on the dash/doors.

Unfortunately we fall into this category

Otherwise I would just leave it alone lol

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...computer),2896

Believe the reason there are two numbers there, one for gas one for flex fuel. The OSes are different.

You can also take the VIN from the sample file and put it into a GM lookup site, like http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
    Last edited by blindsquirrel; 12-24-2022 at 11:34 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...computer),2896

Believe the reason there are two numbers there, one for gas one for flex fuel. The OSes are different.

You can also take the VIN from the sample file and put it into a GM lookup site, like http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

Fantastic info! Thank you!

So putting the vin from the repository file into gmparts I got this PCM-

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...YwMjgwMg%3D%3D

So if I'm understanding correctly, It says that this PCM replaces 12582605, 12589463, and 12602802

The PCM I have is 12582605

Therefore the file I got from the repository should work on the PCM I have?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by krzkr1 View Post
    Unfortunately we fall into this category

Otherwise I would just leave it alone lol
    I doubt that all they do is read the VIN. In some areas every part of the OE calibration for that VIN number has to be the same. A P59 has multiple segment IDs that would have to match, otherwise it would fail.

That being said PCM Hammer and OBDLinkSX cable. Can rewrite any VIN into any controller you want if it is that simple. Save the VIN from the controller before you change it though. Otherwise, you will not get back into that PCM with HP Tuners. You will have to change the VIN to get back into it. I never have understood the reluctance to allow a VIN to match. Especially in the case of a newer PCM for the same application. Such as 0411s and P59s running formerly Black Box Vortecs or P59s replacing earlier P01 controllers. I ran though OBD2 emissions checks with my 1997 having a 2002 VIN and PCM for many years. The Vin match fiasco HP Tuners has created for programming a VIN into a controller is NOT an issue with the controller. I can physically put any 17 Digit VIN into that controller, including one for a Dodge Dakota. I know because I just tried it to see if it would work.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 12-25-2022 at 01:36 AM.

Tuner
    [QUOTE=Fast4.7;710999]I doubt that all they do is read the VIN. In some areas every part of the OE calibration for that VIN number has to be the same. A P59 has multiple segment IDs that would have to match, otherwise it would fail.

That being said PCM Hammer and OBDLinkSX cable. Can rewrite any VIN into any controller you want if it is that simple. Save the VIN from the controller before you change it though. Otherwise, you will not get back into that PCM with HP Tuners. You will have to change the VIN to get back into it. I never have understood the reluctance to allow a VIN to match. Especially in the case of a newer PCM for the same application. Such as 0411s and P59s running formerly Black Box Vortecs or P59s replacing earlier P01 controllers. I ran though OBD2 emissions checks with my 1997 having a 2002 VIN and PCM for many years. The Vin match fiasco HP Tuners has created for programming a VIN into a controller is NOT an issue with the controller. I can physically put any 17 Digit VIN into that controller, including one for a Dodge Dakota. I know because I just tried it to see if it would work.[/QUOTE/]

Here in Illinois I was told by the testing station. They scan the VIN for the vehicle they are testing. They plug in the OBDII test cable. The system scans for emission monitors not ready. For my 2000 S10 with a 2004 Trailblazer 5.3L motor, transmission & P59 PCM. He stated that there are 3 primary must haves Miss-fire, O2's & Evap. All others are secondary and if there is no supporting monitor and it reads NA as in "NOT APPLICABLE" the system gives it a "PASS". Because mine is a 2000 model year I can have 1 readiness monitor not complete and it's still a pass.
    AFAIK California, New York & Arizona are the only ones that require VIN matching of vehicle & PCM.
    Building Automatic Transmissions since 1978
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."--Ernest Hemingway.

Black 2000 S10 Base 2.2L Flex Current LS10 swap project
    Red 2000 Blazer LT 4x4 3.73 SOLD
    Red 1998 S10 SS 4.3L Deceased 10/31/2014

I LS swapped a 2001 Silvy from 4.3V6 to a 6.0 and then put the original VIN into the 411 PCM. This seemed to be okay but I did have a weird problem later when I was trying to log misfires for a random misfire issue I was having. When I plugged in my Snap On Scanner and went to misfire data by cylinder it would only show 6 cylinders because of the VIN... It would never show me #7 or 8 cylinder. So, I had to go back in and change the VIN back to a V8 vehicle so that the scanner would see all 8 cylinders. I'm not sure this would be a problem or not if using Hp tuners scanner for misfire data-just an observation that I experienced. Something to think about if you will be using a scanner other than Hp t that utilizes the VIN for data.