Thread: pulling my hair out

Potential Tuner

pulling my hair out

hi im new hear been a lurker for awhile tho and have made due but this issue is driving me nuts. i have a 07.5 silverado 1500 lmg 5.3 i bought with 350k in 2019 i did a dod delete not long after with a crane 1449511 cam cut the cats out bc one was shot and welded pipe in there place and shut of the rear 02s and it ran fine for awhile. about 2 years or so later i was burning alot of oil and the engine just sounded like sheet after awhile so i figured id pull it and rebuild it. i ended up finding a low mile 83k lc9 for $250 that had a stuck lifter i used the heads and the alum. block of the lc9 bought new flat top pistons honed the cylinders real nice put it all back together just rite. the one thing that happen was i got a set of comp 850-16 or so i thought off amazon that was open box new when i first started the rebuilt 5.3 after priming with oil the lifters were so loud i shut it down rite away like wtf ended up firing it up again tried to let it get to operating temp but shut it down again worried it was gonna blow or something it was that bad the third time i fired it up it was quiet but had a obv. misfire and a p0300 you could feel it stutter so i pulled the valve covers and the drivers side rockers didnt get oil all at the same time two in the middle were like 20 seconds after the rest but they all moved up and down like they should i pulled the passenger and fired it up and rounded the front of the truck and immediately ran to shut her down as there was oil being shot 6-7 ft in the air and all over the battery like a fire hose i figured ok bad lifters is my problem. i ordered another set of 850-16 and changed them out realizing the old lifters were def some china junk someone swapped out. lastnight fired it up and id say my misfire is slightly worse ive done a compression test and got 190 on all cylinders smoke tested for vac leak put a gauge on the fuel rail to verify the injectors would hold pressure and fuel pressure itself cleaned the throttle body with crc throttle body cleaner cleaned the maf with crc maf cleaner i did a injector service with a otc cleaner tank also tested resistence of the injectors i did a crank relearn swapped all the coils changed plugs a few time installed a new set of metal fel pro intake gaskets its got a flow master cold air intake on it that i cleaned the air filter wish i still had the stock air box to put back on but dont i checked the cam lobes when changing the lifters out this past weekend just normal wear didnt see anything of concern im at a loss im not sure if this is the rite place to post sry if not ive logged some idol and revs just before and thought id post here to see if anything stands out bc i have and hp tuner but dont really have any idea what exactly im looking at past fuel trims and 02 voltages any help would be very much appreciated comp lifter install.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Thats kinda hard to read and understand.
    But are you sure you got all the ground wires hooked up?
    Looks like fuel trims are showing its rich.
    And you have a lot of missfires or its picking up a very slight lope in the cam thinking its missfire.
    But if you can hear the engine isnt running right then something is up for sure.
    Have you disabled one injector at a time to see which cylinder isnt happy?

Potential Tuner
    sry forgot to mention my phone screen is cracked can barley type have a new one coming today but i was thinking the same about grounds. being that it only started missing after i had everything apart so im going to look at all the grounds which i did replace the one behind drivers side head and the one behind the power steering pump the others looked ok but i think im going to cut them off a solder new. i have threw the vcmscanner went one by one shutting down each injector and everyone felt the same with the truck rocking back and forth with the dead cylinder i was also thinking of maybe flashing a stock tune and then just shutting off the afm andn rear 02's just to start fresh i have read before that sometimes the dealer will reflash a pcm to cure a p0300 i would have to find the the stock tune and download it bc when i first had the dod shut off and the rear 02's was threw someone else before i purchased an mpvi2 looking threw the log i posted earlier i see the spark advance is at like 50-60 deg when revd up around 1500-2000 rpm is that normal? here is the freeze frame of the dtc thanks for your help
    Freeze Frame: 0
    DTC: P0300 - Random Misfire Detected
    Fuel System Status: 02 02
    Calculated Engine Load: 26.2745098039216 %
    Engine Coolant Temp: 52 ?C
    Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1: 0.78125 %
    Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1: -7.03125 %
    Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2: -1.5625 %
    Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2: -6.25 %
    Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure: 47 kPa
    Engine RPM: 662 rpm
    Vehicle Speed: 0 km/h
    Timing Advance: 12 ?
    Intake Air Temp: 15 ?C
    Mass Airflow: 8 g/s
    Throttle Position: 21.1764705882353 %
    Run Time Since Engine Start: 117 s
    Commanded EVAP Purge: 0 %
    Fuel Level Input: 32.5490196078431 %
    Warmups Since MIL Clear: 0
    Distance Since MIL Clear: 1 km
    EVAP System Vapor Pressure: 2 kPa
    Barometric Pressure: 102 kPa
    Catalyst Temp B1S1: 510 ?C
    Catalyst Temp B2S1: 520 ?C
    Control Module Voltage: 14 V
    Absolute Load: 24.3137254901961 %
    Commanded EQ Ratio: 1
    Relative Throttle Position: 7.45098039215686 %
    Ambient Air Temp: 14 ?C
    Absolute Throttle Position B: 21.1764705882353 %
    Accelerator Position D: 19.2156862745098 %
    Accelerator Position E: 9.41176470588235 %
    Commanded Throttle Actuator: 10.5882352941176 %
    Ethanol Fuel %: 23.921568627451 %

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 02six2t56s10 View Post
    hi im new hear been a lurker for awhile tho and have made due but this issue is driving me nuts. i have a 07.5 silverado 1500 lmg 5.3 i bought with 350k in 2019 i did a dod delete not long after with a crane 1449511 cam cut the cats out bc one was shot and welded pipe in there place and shut of the rear 02s and it ran fine for awhile. about 2 years or so later i was burning alot of oil and the engine just sounded like sheet after awhile so i figured id pull it and rebuild it. i ended up finding a low mile 83k lc9 for $250 that had a stuck lifter i used the heads and the alum. block of the lc9 bought new flat top pistons honed the cylinders real nice put it all back together just rite. the one thing that happen was i got a set of comp 850-16 or so i thought off amazon that was open box new when i first started the rebuilt 5.3 after priming with oil the lifters were so loud i shut it down rite away like wtf ended up firing it up again tried to let it get to operating temp but shut it down again worried it was gonna blow or something it was that bad the third time i fired it up it was quiet but had a obv. misfire and a p0300 you could feel it stutter so i pulled the valve covers and the drivers side rockers didnt get oil all at the same time two in the middle were like 20 seconds after the rest but they all moved up and down like they should i pulled the passenger and fired it up and rounded the front of the truck and immediately ran to shut her down as there was oil being shot 6-7 ft in the air and all over the battery like a fire hose i figured ok bad lifters is my problem. i ordered another set of 850-16 and changed them out realizing the old lifters were def some china junk someone swapped out. lastnight fired it up and id say my misfire is slightly worse ive done a compression test and got 190 on all cylinders smoke tested for vac leak put a gauge on the fuel rail to verify the injectors would hold pressure and fuel pressure itself cleaned the throttle body with crc throttle body cleaner cleaned the maf with crc maf cleaner i did a injector service with a otc cleaner tank also tested resistence of the injectors i did a crank relearn swapped all the coils changed plugs a few time installed a new set of metal fel pro intake gaskets its got a flow master cold air intake on it that i cleaned the air filter wish i still had the stock air box to put back on but dont i checked the cam lobes when changing the lifters out this past weekend just normal wear didnt see anything of concern im at a loss im not sure if this is the rite place to post sry if not ive logged some idol and revs just before and thought id post here to see if anything stands out bc i have and hp tuner but dont really have any idea what exactly im looking at past fuel trims and 02 voltages any help would be very much appreciated comp lifter install.hpl
    It's honestly so hard to read what you've wrote. Keep it shorter, to the point, and with paragraphs. I'm not shaming you for how you wrote.. I'm terrible at grammar. but this is making it hard to understand what the problem is

It seems like you are worried about misfires and P0300? With a cam those diagnostics do not work. You must max out the misfire timers in the tune with a cam like that.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    I agree.. I wouldnt worry about the code. But if you feel the engine not running right then something is up.

Potential Tuner
    Got a new phone finally but Yea my bad for the novel before I didn?t realize with the cam it was that way being that it?s suppose to be a cam u can run with stock springs and tune I know without a solid tune In def leaving a lot on the table but the weird thing is I put this crane 1449511 truck cam in when I did the dod delete and ran it for about two years with no misfires ?m about to order a new set of injectors being that it?s got 383,281 miles it wouldn?t hurt aswell as a new oem fuel pump ve got and evap leak at the to top of the steel pump anyhow the truck was down for a
    Solid 6 months For the rebuild and being that the fuel filter is in part of the pump assembly hopefully.It solves this headache

Advanced Tuner
    Did you double check spark plugs and wires?
    Ive had to trouble shoot some trucks after these local shops do DOD deletes and most the time is a cracked spark plug or a bad spark plug wire. The simple things are what will get you.
    I just finished a 09 tahoe with a 206/210 .553/.553 115+5 in a 5.3. Hopefully fire it up tomorrow.