Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: surging idle

surging idle

i have 5.3l 243s, ss2 when i tighten the over/underspeed up to get a smoother idle truck will surge, runs fine doesnt die or sputter. a/f gage hasnt changed much from when the under/over is -22/22 and it chops on idle. im trying to smooth the idle out some so the remote start will start my truck. i cranks and tries to quickly start and doesnt then a second attempt wont even try to start. the lopey idle is great but gets old honestly, rather have a tighter idle with notes of the cam and for some reason thats harder to do than making idle obnoxious. will post tune in a few , have it on laptop.

Advanced Tuner
    How about a datalog?
    have you tried adding startup airflow?

i just went thru and did some PE adjustments along with a few other things. will take data log tomorrow. last data log looked pretty good, will add here in a sec. also truck fires right up with key, 1 out of 25 starts gotta quick jab peddle tho.
    Attachment 126848
    havent changed engine much, more twords trans settings since then. how small of increments should i start with start up airflow?

was going to try this, somewhere on GRG was going over bigger cam starting issues, was going to try tomorrow, dropped it from 100 to 80 across board.
    Attachment 126849

Advanced Tuner
    I dont have the latest version to look at the datalog

SS2 isnt a big cam. You could add ~5g/s to the cranking air, and 3g/s to the airflow minimim just to get it going and fine tune from there.
    dont be scared to add a good bit of cranking air, it will decay over 4 seconds anyway. If its too many rpms on startup just subtract 10% at a time till you like the startup.

Tuning Addict
    You can try this, but you really need to tune your VE and other tables to get everything right. Just changed a bunch of things to try and get what I imagine is pretty close for your new idle torque, cranking airflow, VE, cranking and idle spark. If it doesn't do anything for you or just runs like shat then atleast you'll see everything that needs to be tuned in on yours to completely fix your problems and unfortunately they'll all pretty much work together.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

this is what i did last nite and a drive today, kinda long log but was about all aspects of driving there
    Attachment 126859
    Attachment 126860

will open and look at and possibly try it out tomorrow. i only drive 2 miles to work so if shitty not a big deal

current tune and log

Attachment 127024
    Attachment 127025

rund ok, havent had but a few miles to log and lots of no grip in the winter to really let it eat. idle still not what im looking for tho, kinda surging, will load a video clip to youtube and link here...maybe im looking for something i cant have with this cam?

https://youtu.be/vRnPL0IVZiA

Thats my idle right now, still seems like surging to me. Maybe its just me?

https://youtu.be/HLgksFC5fKc

Thats kinda what I'm after, not the surge/lope sound but the tappity tap ish idle...i kniw exhaust makes the difference in sound but so does the tune.

Tuning Addict
    That's not a surge - just high idle cam lope. Slow your idle speed setting down and tweak your adaptive idle timing some more by shifting it to the right or left - play with it both ways. Idle speed should make the most difference.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

where should idle be close to? i assumed 750 ish was where i should be, maybe 650 area? i know itll just be playing with it to get it right, maybe drop 50 rpm at a time? and also where should i start to taper off so its warmed up enuff before sitting at low ide? appreciate ur help too man...

Tuning Addict
    Well you pretty much answered a lot of that yourself As for the taper just use the OE's and add or subtract from it. Usually gets things really close to how it needs to be. You can also adjust min air based off of coolant temp to ease idle as it drops in rpm via coolant temp.

~Greg Huggins~

Down to.650 rpm, honestly cant tell difference at all. As far as adaptive idle timing, I dont see whwre I should be, there is something that has settimg for "ms" but unsure what it is so didnt mess with it. Apologize, quite a few beers in and laptop not near me for factual name of pid I'm talking about . I stepped down from 900 to 650 when tenos hit 60*, will post screenshot what I changed tomorrow. Still has the " rolling idle " u said was "high idle cam lope" . idk I dont like to mess with things im not sure of what it does.

Tuner
    You could go to your high octane timing table and select the timing in your idling area to have more similar timing numbers but this only is assuming your timing changing is what is causing the surging. You should look at the timing log to determine if this is the case first. Also check the MAF profile and make sure it is not bouncing between too rich too lean in the idle air flow area there, use log to determine.
    2017 Silverado 3500HD WT 6.0 flex fuel 6L90 6800lbs E78 T43

--- What am I doing??? Why did I do that??? ---

Most def is timing related , watching timing at idle going from 28ish to 8, just flipping back and forth going to try adjusting timing tables. The high and low tables are the same. Also commanding idle down to 650 it wont really idle down bouncing 700ish -850ish but id assume its the timing and trying to stabilize itself. I can command 650 with the scanner and it'll idle there for a while and surge, looks like its a little bit leaner at idle now also (aem wideband few inches behind o2). I'm just going to have to start with basics, I just dont have the time, but going to have to make the time. I work 8hrs a day nd come home nd put 4 more in in my garage, and then weekends in my shop so time is limited for my own vehicle lol. Anyone knows a mechanics vehicle is the one that gets repaired last.

Well just a couple things that I noticed. First off your proportional airflow 12196 is kinda out of whack. I have a screenshot of what it should be. I have had a SS2. 2023-01-02.png As far as the idle base setpoint it should look something like this 2023-01-02 (1).png
    You do have a stock throttle body and intake correct?

yes stock gen 4 truc intake and TB. taking a look at parts you have referenced also.

i made those changes u pointed out, will flash in the morning and see how she goes aiflow was waaay different than what you took screen shot of, seems yours makes more sense as far a linear with numbers, not sure how that translates to running but hope thats issue. have been watching spark at idle, its def dropping about all spark , can see it fluctuate from high 30s to 0 at times, happens quick but graph for spark looks like how a O2 should bounce! just to see if i could control it i jacked up spark in idle range and it still fluctuates so something is making the spark drop, maybe the airflow is the issue? not sure but will keep looking for things that seem out of whack. this will be tune i flash in the morning.

Attachment 127151
    Last edited by ehall8702; 01-02-2023 at 09:45 PM.