Thread: VVT question

VVT question

A swap from an E78 Van with VVT and no DOD/AFM but swapping to an E38 for a manual trans. I know manual trans do not have VVT due to interference on a missed shift but wondering if on the stock calibration it has VVT disabled can I re enable it in the tune? Customer would prefer to not do a cam right now. If there is no choice than cam and lifters it is.
    Kind of asked here.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...onversion-help

Senior Tuner
    You can try.. or you an just try to leave the cam parked at 0 degrees.. Shouldn't cause much of a power loss.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Parked at zero would just be disabled in the tune and the VVT solenoid disconnected right? Or should it be mechanically locked?

Tuner
    I would think you could also just zero out the cam degree tables in the VVT.
    I know I had to change mine when I went to my Gwatney VVT cam DOD delete. I had to install the comp
    cam phaser and then make sure all my cam values were under 21* or it would throw a code

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfoggy View Post
    I would think you could also just zero out the cam degree tables in the VVT.
    I know I had to change mine when I went to my Gwatney VVT cam DOD delete. I had to install the comp
    cam phaser and then make sure all my cam values were under 21* or it would throw a code
    I've been considering putting Gwatney's Low lift VVT cam in my 6.0 Truck. How do you like it? Did you get assistance on tuning, or do a dyno or street tune yourself?

Tuner
    It's still a work in progress. I did take it to a tuning shop initially ..... not the best experience.
    So that's when I dove into learning this stuff myself. I bought the "tuning school" books.
    The cam itself is pretty good. It could be a 'tiny' bit less duration or a little more lobe sep* degree to get
    a really smooth idle. I use my yukon for towing, so I wanted the smallest vvt cam I could find.
    I think with a bit more finesse, it will be a very acceptable idle quality. It does have a noticeable power increase

Oh look, someone left you a little present! <poop emoji> How sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Oh look, someone left you a little present! <poop emoji> How sweet.
    They gone now, thx for reporting
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

I've been using the vvt cams from gpi since 2000. And after all this time I've came to the conclusion that all that torque down low just causes traction control issues. I've had the SS2 vvt and now the SS3 vvt cam and can say from experience that it's probably better to just get rid of it. It pains me to say that.
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter