Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holley Sniper 92mm Throttle Body - Idle Air

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Will the GM IAC of identical design not fit in place of the 'Dodge' IAC?
    They physically do not bolt into place. Its been a while since I had them side by side but I want to say the Dodge version has a pintle that operates at a different depth and is a different size and taper as well. The bolt circle is also larger on one than the other because obviously they were not designed to be interchangeable even though they look similar. Apple to Orange in designs.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 12-20-2022 at 04:00 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Hot damn.. Just had a car dropped off with one of these. from 0 counts to 300 counts the idle moves maybe 100 RPM.
    Wired wrong and the IAC flow table will be an interesting challenge for you.

Cold start will be interesting to say the least.

I actually took an example of both of these IACs apart. The thread pitch on the shaft is way different in addition to IIRC the pintle shape and diameter being different.

The Dodge IACs flow alot more. Also from memory try cutting the IAC flow table in half. That should get you alot closer than the GM IAC based table.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 12-20-2022 at 03:57 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Drop down to the section labeled IAC Wiring Considerations

https://www.fastmanefi.com/holley-tech

Also from memory you will have to make the swap at the PCM. The pins in the IAC connector insert from the end that mate to the IAC leaving you with a pin that cannot be removed with the wire attached.

The stupid Sniper TB was the gift that kept on giving in terms of PITA. Much like trying to use an Edelbrock Proflow with stock GM electronics or with GM DBW. You could use a 4 bolt 90mm throttle body except Edelbrock made the TB bolt pattern a Ford one. 3 bolt bolts up but will not seal without a metal plate to seal off the 90mm opening some. EPIC FAILS!
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 12-20-2022 at 04:05 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I just recently removed a Holley Sniper 85mm from my Trans Am. It was not a good design for my car since there were quite a few unfixable issues. The blade wouldn't open up all the way no matter how I adjusted the cables and it also leaked quite a bit of air by at idle. I switched to a BBK TB last week and all the issues I had been fighting have disappeared. I'm going to have to adjust the tune again though since the blade position wasn't accurate on the Sniper.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bkelsheimer89 View Post
    I just recently removed a Holley Sniper 85mm from my Trans Am. It was not a good design for my car since there were quite a few unfixable issues. The blade wouldn't open up all the way no matter how I adjusted the cables and it also leaked quite a bit of air by at idle. I switched to a BBK TB last week and all the issues I had been fighting have disappeared. I'm going to have to adjust the tune again though since the blade position wasn't accurate on the Sniper.
    I had to drill out the IAC passageways on my BBK L31 throttle body. It stopped adding airflow around 120 steps. Cold start with a cammed 383 needed more airflow. I tried to help it by opening the minimum air rate screw but I was idling 25-50 rpm over commanded with Zero steps and all the idle compensation spark retard being pulled for that RPM error.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    Is this the IAC you have on your Sniper?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/543-105

If it is, that is the Dodge IAC. Standard Products AC416 equivalent that fits a late 90s Dodge 5.9 360. It is pinned differently than the GM IAC and the step count is far different than a GM IAC. When it is pinned wrong it moves to one extreme or the other or just kind of floats not really changing position. I ran it through a sweep from 0-160 counts with almost no movement, then it moved to one extreme and hung in place. Once you get the pinout swapped, one pulse to the stepper motor does not equal the same opening as a GM IAC, even when you swap the pins around. I have set up a few of them and they were a total pain in the rear. Once I was able to equate steps to flow potential, I was able to get it to work halfway well. Personally, I would rather use a Fitech throttle body that uses an OEM GM IAC than the Sniper throttle body. The reason I am clarifying this is I have not seen a Sniper that used a GM IAC unless it is something new.
    It's not the Dodge IAC - it is a brand new GM IAC that's specific to a handful of Gen 3 engines. Fits like a glove in to both the new and stock throttle body. On the Sniper page for the specific throttle body I've got, it says to use this IAC which is a direct replacement of the GM version. Now...unless "direct replacement" means that only the pinout is correct, it should mean that the pinout, pintle diameter, and pintle shaft length should all be the same...no?
    2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 5.3L - Gen3 LM7, Summit 8712 Cam (209/217 112 LSA), LS6 style valve springs, flat top Silv-O-Lite pistons, TBSS intake manifold, 92MM Holley Sniper TB, 36lb flex fuel injectors (12613411), block hugger headers (1 5/8"), catalytic converters deleted, custom 2.5" exhaust to a Borla XR-1 muffler. It's my grocery getter.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bkelsheimer89 View Post
    I just ordered a 4 bolt manifold to 3 bolt throttle body plate so I can swap the old throttle body on and play with that. I'm pretty sure that it's going to solve all my commanded idle issues...and it sucks that I spent so much on the Sniper and it just looks cool. :-/
    2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 5.3L - Gen3 LM7, Summit 8712 Cam (209/217 112 LSA), LS6 style valve springs, flat top Silv-O-Lite pistons, TBSS intake manifold, 92MM Holley Sniper TB, 36lb flex fuel injectors (12613411), block hugger headers (1 5/8"), catalytic converters deleted, custom 2.5" exhaust to a Borla XR-1 muffler. It's my grocery getter.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
    It's probably a badly designed IAC port in the TB itself. I've had several issues out of the Sniper line of TB's that switching over to the Holley Billet unit solved. There's a reason one is $200 and the other is $600
    That's what I'm figuring out at this point. I was going to go all "engineer" on the TB and compare measurements for the IAC openings in both the stock and Holley Sniper...but...I think I'm just kind of over it. I'm not a "cheap" guy by any means, but one thing I learned about during this swap...buy AC Delco sensors across the board...and apparently, buy the more expensive TB's if upgrading. HA!

Senior Tuner
    Can't say enough about a nick williams throttle body. He was a tuner. He might still tune I don't know.

but he knows all the ways a throttle body can screw up and has been improving the design. They've been nothing short of perfect for years. Very well built at a machine shop not far from our shop. (USA)
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner
    I pulled the IAC on this customers car and it is dodge by the way the coils ohm out.

Does anyone know the OEM GM application for the IAC listed here?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/543-34
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    I pulled the IAC on this customers car and it is dodge by the way the coils ohm out.

AC Delco Part #17113598 - like $240 from the dealership, or $100ish from Amazon - same part.

Senior Tuner

They list oem applications on the link you have and it matches with rockauto when cross referenced with the 17113598. If Holley can be trusted.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    They list oem applications on the link you have and it matches with rockauto when cross referenced with the 17113598. If Holley can be trusted.
    duh.. lol thanks
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com