Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions on DE-Tuning a 2002 5.3 silverado to stop differential destruction

Tuner in Training

Need suggestions on DE-Tuning a 2002 5.3 silverado to stop differential destruction

I have a 2002 1/2 ton Chevy that the 17 year old just is backing up, then puts it in drive, and magically the spider gears get welded to the pin, and the spider gears and side gears are shredded. I would like to de-tune it so under 70 mph, normal driving it is fine, but need to soften the timing above 3600 rpm and lower the rev limiter. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
    Thanks.

To be honest, the timing is already soft above 3,600rpm. These engines only make like 285hp. Even knocking the timing back more won't pull that much power away, you can't really just rob the engine of 100hp with removing a little bit of timing.

I could see putting a lower speed limiter on it so they can't do 90mph but lowering the rev limiter isn't going to do much. It'll still reach whatever speed you want it to without ever reaching 5,000rpm.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I think he is getting his jollies burying the speedometer and making tire smoke. Do I have to go in the code modification section of the ECU to set the speed limit and rpm limit? I didn't see those specific parameters anywhere else. Sorry, I am used to same era Jeeps.

Did you open the file yet to take a look?

The speed limiter is in the speedo tab and the rev limiter is in the engine > fuel > cutoff tab.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Neutering it enough to stop someone from intentionally breaking it would probably make it unsafe to drive in normal traffic situations. I don't think the solution to this is to be found in the truck (unless that involves putting it in a crusher).

Tuner in Training
    I see the speed limit under speedo. The engine rpm I bumped the bad vss limits down, but ETC is probably what I am looking for, correct?

Nobody can answer those kinds of questions unless they can see the file you are looking at.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Neutering it enough to stop someone from intentionally breaking it would probably make it unsafe to drive in normal traffic situations. I don't think the solution to this is to be found in the truck (unless that involves putting it in a crusher).
    Crusher would be the best suggestion to teach the lesson. Mainly trying to stop high rpm stuff when smoking tires and doing truck back to back pulls.

Once he figures out how much tires cost, he'll stop doing smokey burnouts lol.

I dunno, a used tire with a couple of plugs already in it can be pretty cheap.

Hey I just had an idea - toss in one of them big ol' Stage 6 camshafts, but keep the stock torque converter (and rev limit at like 4800). It'll be impossible to do burnouts then.

Tuner in Training
    That is the problem. Parents paid for truck and will pay for tires. Divorce and competition deal probably. He is rotating them so it isn't so obvious, he thinks. Tires were like new in April, now all 4 are approaching wear bars. I am putting a limited slip diff in to stop the wheel burning, but he will probably smoke the clutches. I thought if it performs less than before, it will help, and will get his attention that I did as grandpa requested and slowed him down a bit. But we are not telling him it is de-tuned. I am sure he will notice, but what can he say? I was just driving it nice and found out it won't rev over 5200 rpm?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Hey I just had an idea - toss in one of them big ol' Stage 6 camshafts, but keep the stock torque converter (and rev limit at like 4800). It'll be impossible to do burnouts then.
    That is very tempting, and a damn good idea!

If it's electronic throttle it might be possible to limit the throttle opening rate. I know you can do that on Gen 4s, unsure about the details on what's allowed with Gen 3s. If it's cable throttle the only tool it has to limit torque is by pulling spark timing way down low, and that can hurt other parts. Low timing (single digit or negative) for extended periods makes for very hot exhaust, there's actual literal fire going down the pipes when they do that. Fine for short duration like during a shift but bad if someone's on purpose trying to do burnouts.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like this 17 year old should start paying for his own stuff and learn the hard way that if you dont care of it, your walking.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RDF1 View Post
    Sounds like this 17 year old should start paying for his own stuff and learn the hard way that if you dont care of it, your walking.
    That is supposed to be happening this round with the diff repair. We shall see. Knocking the P/N rev limiter down may get his attention. The problem is when most of us were kids and we blew the rear end, transmission or engine, we had to fix it ourselves. After a couple of times we learned no to do stupid stuff with our daily driver. But kids can't get dirty anymore. That is abuse, or so I am told.

Senior Tuner
    Easy. Just don't fix it. Sorry but this is on you for enabling him.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Easy. Just don't fix it. Sorry but this is on you for enabling him.
    Not my call. I just have the shop, and they want me to fix it, and if possible de-tune it so kid can't get as crazy as he has been. If it was up to me, he would fix it himself outside in his driveway. But not in my control.

Senior Tuner
    So you are just a repair shop with no ties to the kid then. I would just fix it,charge them and tell them sorry I don't tune. You obviously don't since you are asking. You want to be responsible for him getting in an accident for something you did in an attempt to detune it?
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 12-11-2022 at 12:19 AM.

I would be making money putting a bulletproof diff in. When opportunity knocks.....