Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2002 5.3 SD tune/ new swap

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

screenshot.09-12-2022 20.11.28.png

Don't do that! Bad!

Results in implausible stuff like this VE table... (apologies for the text, I was unable to resist)

screenshot.09-12-2022 20.12.42.png

Tuner in Training
    No don't hold back!
    Learning everyday, won't hurt my feelings that's why I post up for help. Thanks
    So are the stock open loop FA vs rpm table settings acceptable or should the values remain constant here
    ?
    I wish the initial cold idle BS it goes through was that obvious to spot in the tune haha
    1965 Corvair Corsa turbo flat 6
    1966 Buick Riviera GS 425
    1966 Crown V8 Corvair LS 5.3
    1984 Buick Regal turbo V6
    1984 Isuzu Impulse Buick v6 swap
    2013 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
    2019 Silverado 5.3 4wd

Yes. The open loop table must stay like it was in the previous tunes. It has to commanded 1.00 at operating temp for any tuning to be accurate.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Changed the OL F/A vs ETC vs rpm table back to stock.
    I see the whole low spot in the VE table and whole table is an odd shape. When driving this area is always rich in the logs and gets fuel pulled out, every time I copy sand paste special %-half.
    I intend to buy am email tune or similar once I put a cam(Summit8720R1) in this engine. I'm learning until then to tune the stock setup.
    I cannot figure out injector duty cycle pid yet, looks wrong on the logs, It does look like the stock 25lb injectors will be alright even with a cam.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2013 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
    2019 Silverado 5.3 4wd

"completely stock 2002 5.3 Sierra doner engine with custom long tube headers" really should not need radical changes to much of anything. Tweaks, sure. Un-disable the power enrichment, light touch-up of VE, have a look over the spark tables since I'm sure you won't be using the worst garbage fuel you can find, like the typical stock pickup truck owner would. If you find your data is telling you it needs big changes anywhere, you should not trust your data, and look into what's gone wrong with your process.

Tuner in Training
    Is power enrichment not enabled? I only adjusted the EQ ratio in that table I'm certain.
    Agreed the stock engine should only need tweaks and it is acting as such.
    This swap did had a very recent issue that I resolved
    I replaced a clogged fuel filter that messed up the job early in this tuning session. The engine has ran good everywhere once that was out of the way on most of the tuning until I started going wide open and even then it wasn't terrible just not consistent, Probably looks bad in the data logs.
    2013 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
    2019 Silverado 5.3 4wd

What's causing the VE to need to be changed so much? If it got that jacked up because of previous issues, then paste a stock VE back in and start over.

I did not look at much in your tune (to be honest, I stopped looking after I found the OL table and the VE). My comments were meant to be a general outline of what should be needed for a swap using a stock engine with headers.

Have you run it in closed loop, and used the fuel trims as a sanity check for your wideband and its math config?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Have you run it in closed loop, and used the fuel trims as a sanity check for your wideband and its math config?
    No, only one O2 sensor location and I didn't notice until I had the headers ceramic coated.
    So just the wide band O2 one the left bank header.
    I'm am again starting over with the original VE table since I had open loop EQ table messed up.

Tuner in Training
    I want to thank everyone who helped me and offered advise.
    I have started over with SD tuning from the original VE table and it has gone great now that the fuel filter is no longer a contributing problem. The driving trips now for data are pretty good and I am happy with how it is behaving, I am almost ready to lock down the tune except for the WOT area as I didn't get there much.
    Moving onto fix the only other problem "high rpm idle when cold" and I am certain it is now cured!
    I read a lot and checked basic hardware for problems which was all good. I found and used Russ Kemps idle config layout and adjustment procedure, setting up and getting data from those graphs. Once those were logging I copied the new desired RAF onto the RAF table.
    Happy about that, I will crack open the TB blade just a bit and relearn the TPS though it did stall a couple times sitting in garage.
    New updated tune and log attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2013 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
    2019 Silverado 5.3 4wd