Thread: Tuning VE table using EQ ratio commanded

Potential Tuner

Tuning VE table using EQ ratio commanded

Hello all,
    I am working on an 04 2500HD with a 6.0 LQ4 thats had a BTR stage 2 truck cam swapped into it. It also has longtubes and full exhaust (no cats).

I had been using my AEM 30-0334 wideband connected to my MPVI2 via the pronlink feature to log AFR error while tuning my VE table. I have done some research from what I can see using EQ ratio error in lambda to tune VE is actually more accurate and supposedly easier.

I want the truck to run around 14:1 afr or .95 lambda at idle and while cruising. So I set my ?Stoich afr? table to 13.9 across the board. I then edited my gas eq ratio table under power enrichment to command an AFR of 12.7 to 12.3 at WOT (12.7 being the lower rpm side 12.3 being higher rpm side and tapering off btwn the two)

My concern is now that I am logging EQ ratio error I noticed that my EQ ratio commanded is still at 1.0 aka 14.7 afr. Shouldnt it be at .95 which is around the 14 afr, where I have the ?Stoich AFR? table set? Wouldnt it need to be there for me to accurately tune my VE table for a base fuel of 14:1 or .95? Isnt this throwing off my percentages in my EQ error histogram? If so, how do I change this in the VCM Editor to make it say that I have commanded .95 lambda aka 14:1 afr?

I will also add my logged commanded AFR is 13.9 right where I want it. Why is my EQ ratio commanded not reflecting this? After all when you go into power enrichment with the vehicle you can see the Commanded EQ ratio change to whatever the math between ?stoich afr? and ?pe? tables is. Example, 14/1.120=12.5 or .85 lambda. I do see that change happening when logging.

Senior Tuner
    If you set stoich as 14.1 EQ will be 1 at 14.1. Does that make sense?

Eq ratio is just what ratio of stoich you want.. you set stoich as 14.1.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    You'll need to run it in open loop. Closed loop is going to target 14.7 or 1.00 lambda.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    If you set stoich as 14.1 EQ will be 1 at 14.1. Does that make sense?

Eq ratio is just what ratio of stoich you want.. you set stoich as 14.1.
    I do, so basically lambda is 1.0 at whatever set point you have it set at. So if I had set it to 11.5, lambda is 1 at 11.5.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eXo3901 View Post
    You'll need to run it in open loop. Closed loop is going to target 14.7 or 1.00 lambda.
    Closed loop is disabled, I am in open loop. Ive set the computer to speed density process for my VE tuning. Would this be correct?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes.
    Sorry, I think I miss understood your original question. I was thinking of a different thread.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyd View Post
    I do, so basically lambda is 1.0 at whatever set point you have it set at. So if I had set it to 11.5, lambda is 1 at 11.5.
    Exactly.

One thing that might trip you up on whatever you are trying to do is the stock O2 sensors are going to go for stoich.. So if you got E85..they are going to try to trim to 9.XX to 1.. If you got E10.. they are going to trim to something around 14.1:1. If your purposely trying to make the engine run rich.. closed loop will pull it back to stoich.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs