Thread: Issues logging AEM Wideband through EGR

Potential Tuner

Issues logging AEM Wideband through EGR

First off I have read and re-read every possible thread related to logging AFR through the EGR, I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am missing.

The only difference I see is that some people's HP Tuner Editor seem to have an EGR enable/disable function where I only see Diag Disable Speed and Diag Enable Speed under the EXHAUST > Gas Recirculation tab.

I have an AEM 30-0300 wideband with the white (+) wire going to Pin 55 (blue connector) on my P01 ecu and the brown (-) going to Pin 23 (blue connector)

I set up the unused math parameters as such: variable: ([2811.10]*2.3750)+7.3125 - EGR Sensor Volts - 14.7 stoich

I added the EGR sensor voltage channel, but have never been able to log anything other than 0. Also added the above parameter to the chart and same thing, always 0.
    The AFR gauge is working properly.

Please help me find what I am missing.

2002 GMC Sierra 5.3

Below is the instructions I followed.

Step 1 Wiring The AEM 30-300 has two wires for Analog out, the White wire for Analog 5v signal and a brown wire for the analog ground. On a P59 with the blue/green connectors, the white wire must be connected to pin 55 on the blue connector. The brown wire needs to be connected to pin 41 on the blue connector as well.
    On my PSI harness, they have unused pins blocked off with a rubber plug, I guess to keep dust and water out. I had harvested extra pin pigtails from an old harness. If you need some let me know, could drop a few in the mail. Anyway, I took a small drill bit to punch hole in the rubber seal and pushed the pig tails through for 55 and 41. I prefer to solider everything, you are dealing with small voltage numbers so I wouldn?t try crimping any connections it could skew your numbers.

Step 2 Changing the tune
    Since the wideband will be logging to the EGR, you need to go into your tune and turn on EGR. I think after 2001 trucks didn?t have EGR so this actually needs to be enabled (Engine> Gas Recirculation>>General). Double check your DTC codes for EGR are disabled or you?d probably throw a code.

Step 3 Setting up VCM scanner.
    For this to work, you need to log EGR voltage, add the Channel ?EGR Sensor? , make sure the units are volts. Next you need to setup a user math parameter that will take the EGR voltage and calculate the AFR based on AEM?s formula you can find in the Wideband documentation.
    ?Tools>Math parameters? Select one of the unused User Maths. I named mine ?Windband AFR? and gave the abbreviation ?AFR?. Take this next line and cut and paste it into the Expressions field. Make sure to copy everything including the open parenthesis

([2811.10]*2.3750)+7.3125

Set the Unit to ?Air-Fuel ratio 14.7 -Gasoline? and the decimals to ?2?
    The only place I?m currently showing my AFR in VCM scanner is in the Chart vs Time. Go to your chart layout and add new series or replace one of yours if you are out of space. Make the Label AFR, Parameter, you?ll put the Wideband AFR from the User defined maths you created earlier. Decimals 2, filter 0ms, Max 18 min 8.5. Close the layout editor and you should be done. Save your updated layout so its still there when you re-open VCM scanner

Step 4 Confirm its working
    Basically, you will see the AFR chart start running across the screen. If you start logging before the AEM warms up it will be flatlined. Once the display on the AEM is working, VCM should have data in it now. If the chart isn?t showing data from the maths then look at the EGR Sensor channel, it should be reading around 3 volts at 14.65 AFR.

Attachment 125371
    Attachment 125372
    Attachment 125373

Advanced Tuner
    Post the tune

bumping. I'm also missing the enable/disable tab for EGR and just have the Diag Disable Speed and Diag Enable Speed tab. Was planning on setting up my WB through the EGR circuit, but now wondering if I need to wire it through the A/C pressure switch?

Senior Tuner
    Verify the AEM is actually sending voltage out.

I've had a issue with the analog AEM gauges randomly not sending voltage out to a stand alone data logger etc.. I have 3 of them in my shop and they all do it occasionally. Running the power supply to the alternator seems to help. AEM support has not been helpful.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    bumping. I'm also missing the enable/disable tab for EGR and just have the Diag Disable Speed and Diag Enable Speed tab. Was planning on setting up my WB through the EGR circuit, but now wondering if I need to wire it through the A/C pressure switch?
    What vehicle is this for and does it have EGR by default? My C5 does NOT have EGR, and I had to enable EGR for this to work. But now the EGR toggle is not displayed in the editor software and it wouldn't work otherwise.

Advanced Tuner
    Instead of using EGR i believe you can do the same thing through the A/C circuit....

Potential Tuner

Innovate Widedband through EGR

i am also looking for the settings for the EGR enable and disable. I am using a Innovate LC-2. Using the serial port has aggravated me to my wits end with havening to restart the computer every time I want to scan. I can not get a V reading from the EGR on my scanner. I have 5V at the blue connector pin 55 with the engine off. I have 2. something volts at the white wire which is connected to Pin 55 with the engine running. it appears I do not have an AC pressure sensor. So that route is out. Any help would be appreciated. tune and scan attached. BTW 5.3 Truck Norris in a YJ.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by kavman View Post
    i am also looking for the settings for the EGR enable and disable. I am using a Innovate LC-2. Using the serial port has aggravated me to my wits end with havening to restart the computer every time I want to scan. I can not get a V reading from the EGR on my scanner. I have 5V at the blue connector pin 55 with the engine off. I have 2. something volts at the white wire which is connected to Pin 55 with the engine running. it appears I do not have an AC pressure sensor. So that route is out. Any help would be appreciated. tune and scan attached. BTW 5.3 Truck Norris in a YJ.
    Here is your tune with egr on. it'll work now.

2002 Silverado idle (19) not installed egr on.hpt
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

Potential Tuner
    Thank you Matt I appreciate the help. It is working now.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by kavman View Post
    Thank you Matt I appreciate the help. It is working now.

Keith
    You're welcome. Glad to help.
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

Did you ever figure this out?

Advanced Tuner
    The last 3 posts would suggest that it did fix the issue. If youre having a similar issue then make a new thread and we can help.
    "I don't care how it runs as long as it chop chops at idle"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Vardaman View Post
    Here is your tune with egr on. it'll work now.

2002 Silverado idle (19) not installed egr on.hpt
    Hi man. I'm running into the same issue with my EGR being disabled. I was hoping you could help me too? This is the first post I found with a solution to this. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am such a NOOB that I cant even figure out how to make a new post. SMH

Nevermind. I just figured it out. Thanks.