Thread: Low Accel at low RPM

Tuner in Training

Low Accel at low RPM

Hey guys just wondering if I'm not getting the acceleration at the bottom end because I am still running the stock 2300-2500 stall TC or if it is actually in my tune. Or trans tune. I know the 2500hd is one heavy SOB but I wouldn't imagine not being able to at least chirp the tires, my log isn't the greatest but at the time that's what I got. and yeah, I do know my afr goes severely rich at high rpm, I'm slowly working on adding more boost.

Thank you guy's. I'd really appreciate a second opinion. Unfortunately, no one around me that I know Know's how to tune so i can't get pointers.
    If ya'll need a full log from a launch let me know. I'll get one later.

02 2500HD 6.0
    4L80E with stock TC
    73# uncapped injectors
    BTR stage 2 weekend warrior cam
    .600 lift springs
    Gt45 turbo in truck bed
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Moistbread; 10-19-2022 at 09:24 PM.

Tuner
    Did you tune the new cam build before you added the turbo or just put it all together first then start to tune it? Maybe tune without boost first, should be able to burn tires, unless they are big sticky slicks, add timing for lower rpm and adjust fuel as you are getting timing optimal. Then add boost related timing retard and fuel increases so things only get better as boost goes up. Just my opinion to make things simpler.
    2017 Silverado 3500HD WT 6.0 flex fuel 6L90 6800lbs E78 T43

--- What am I doing??? Why did I do that??? ---

Tuner in Training
    Tuned it before and after. Before it would light them with the slightest wetness on the road. Then it?s kinda just stopped. I?m running fairly worn MT?s so that?s not the issue. I added timing at bottom until I seen spark knock but it seemed way to high of advance (was around 40-50 during beginning of accel). So I dumbed it down to where it is now. Is that a normal amount for the topish left of the table?

Turn off engine abuse mode and max out the max torque vs rpm table.

And fix that VE table, that thing is horrible. It's so jagged that the fueling is never smooth, like ever. Use the smoothing function and as I'm sure we've said before, those de-capped injectors are terrible and fueling is going to be a struggle to ever get correct. If you have a rich idle problem as well you'll need to cut the min fuel milligrams in the transient fuel tab in half.

The PE and BE stuff isn't really ideal either. The PE should be much leaner and then as soon as your BE hits, you smacked it with a ton of fuel at 0 psi of boost. Then it gets leaner as more boost comes in, that's like the opposite of what you want.

PE should be set at like a 12.2ish AFR and then the 100kpa (0 psi) should start at 12.2 AFR and then get richer as more boost is added. With it getting to the 11.5 AFR at 6-7+ psi. Enable the PE at 85 or 90kpa and enable boost enrichment at 105kpa.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Turn off engine abuse mode and max out the max torque vs rpm table.

And fix that VE table, that thing is horrible. It's so jagged that the fueling is never smooth, like ever. Use the smoothing function and as I'm sure we've said before, those de-capped injectors are terrible and fueling is going to be a struggle to ever get correct. If you have a rich idle problem as well you'll need to cut the min fuel milligrams in the transient fuel tab in half.

The PE and BE stuff isn't really ideal either. The PE should be much leaner and then as soon as your BE hits, you smacked it with a ton of fuel at 0 psi of boost. Then it gets leaner as more boost comes in, that's like the opposite of what you want.

PE should be set at like a 12.2ish AFR and then the 100kpa (0 psi) should start at 12.2 AFR and then get richer as more boost is added. With it getting to the 11.5 AFR at 6-7+ psi. Enable the PE at 85 or 90kpa and enable boost enrichment at 105kpa.

Definitely appreciate the honesty lol. I don't know how i missed the BE and PE issue. and yeah, for some reason street tuning there's a good bit of cells that i can never hit. (Hinting the random 100's). i never thought about actually using the smooth function in that table. I'm definitely seeing what everyone's mentioned with the decapps. hopefully soon I'll be able to swap them out. the afr will be great and then randomly it'll be off the next week. I'm just waiting for there to be another sell on actual injectors lol.

Injector data is wrong, even for injectors that now have no data (flow rate is set up as if returnless but offset is set up as if referenced). Never seen any decaps that only flow 68lb, unless you have stupid low rail pressure. Mostly they're between 74-80 @58psi.

Only a GT45, you should not need injectors that big. If you have 58psi, and a referenced regulator (so the flow rate doesn't fall off as boost increases), the 50lb L96 flex injectors should support around 600RWHP on gasoline. And those injectors are cheap even if you buy them from reputable sources, around $22/ea.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1887186
    Last edited by blindsquirrel; 10-20-2022 at 07:55 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, I was shooting way over the gt45's limit when I decided to go decapped. I haven't installed my aeromotive referenced regulator since I've been just barely driving around in the truck. ill order those this weekend. the decap's were flowed at 73-75Lb. I was told that I'd want to start the curve lower, but I just changed it and interloped 73-76. did a pull with the fixed VE, BE, PE and abuse disabled and lost traction when brake boosting to 2300rpm. still a slug until boost however. Used HPTuner's TrackAddict app and according to it I did 9.9 in the 1\8th at 68mph.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Looking into the l96 injectors and I’m seeing that they are 44lbs will be around 90-100% duty at 540bhp? And random question. So I’m pushing 6psi around 4.5k rpm, afr is right at 11.5 and timing is 15 with no knock. but it still doesn’t feel 500hpish. Could I be not doing something ?
    Last edited by Moistbread; 10-20-2022 at 07:46 PM.

12613412 L96 injector is 50.9lb at 58psi static. If you found someone claiming they are 44lb they're either just wrong or quoting flow at 43psi.

Tuner in Training
    Alright yeah I seen 44lb on the “LS injector list”. Ordered them today. Honestly same price as the dam decap’s lol.

Senior Tuner
    The tune isn't all there but the fueling and timing are close enough to where it should leave pretty good.

I'd say it has more to do with the stock converter and not shifting back to first in that 2nd gear log. You smack at like 12 mph and its carrying that gear all the way to 70 mph or something.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I actually had it commanded in third. It wasn’t acting right with the vehicle controls apparently. Also didn’t add that I’m running water/meth injection at 4+ psi. I know it’s not technically necessary but my turbos bed mounted so it helps cool my IAT down.