Thread: Programming 4l60 question?

Tuner in Training

Programming 4l60 question?

I have a 4l60 and 5.3 in an off road vehicle. Want to program so transmission is low and reverse only. Can someone please help me?

Have you not thought about a manual transmission? it would meet your goals swimmingly and probably eat up less HP, and weigh less, than a 60E-leaving more HP to push the vehicle... but.. I guess crazy things are done every day and why shouldn't you..

Go into your shift scheduling tabs in your tune and change the 1-2 shift to 250 MPH. do the same for 2-3, and the same for 3-4, across the board. That should stop the PCM from attempting to command 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gears... Or... since you don't want any of the other gears... why not just ground the signal wires for the A & B shift solenoids any time the vehicle is running.. Then you would not even need a computer.. You could simply supply power, and ground wires for both shift solenoids, and even lock up the converter (by switch) for when you are rolling along (if you wanted to). I would be remiss if I did not strongly advise you to not try this. Also... is there a reason you don't want to just put the shifter down into the D1 position? Lastly, you can simply UNPLUG the speed sensor.. If the PCM does not see that the vehicle is moving, it will NEVER command 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear.... Many ways to accomplish what you are after... But you specifically said "TUNING"..

Tuner in Training
    Thank you it's for a demolition derby car. It mainly stays below 40 feet of movement. So figured programming was easier solution.

Senior Tuner
    Low as in 1st gear only? Post the file. I'll do it real quick.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Attached file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    low as in first gear only?
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    yes 1st gear only

Senior Tuner
    Try this

chad derby 2.hpt
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Tuner in Training
    thank you

Tuner in Training
    Alvin,
    I programmed transmission. I was wondering why transmission was left manual not 4l60?
    Thank you

Senior Tuner
    I never changed that. Was this a manual truck? Changing that doesn't do anything. It doesn't make it able to run a automatic etc.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Tuner in Training
    No I had it set to manual because I had a turbo 400 transmission. Do I have to set it to 4l60?

Senior Tuner
    I'd put it back yes..
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Tuner in Training
    thank you

Tuner in Training
    Everything was perfect. Thank you

Potential Tuner
    Kinda related, kinda not, I have a 4L60 that under normal driving is up-shifting into 3rd, locking up and then shifting into 4th and staying locked up. How do I correct this with tuning? Tranny is slightly built for towing and had a TransGo shift kit installed.

Quote Originally Posted by vetteyog View Post
    Kinda related, kinda not, I have a 4L60 that under normal driving is up-shifting into 3rd, locking up and then shifting into 4th and staying locked up. How do I correct this with tuning? Tranny is slightly built for towing and had a TransGo shift kit installed.
    It would require posting the tune for any diagnostic or correction

Advanced Tuner
    Also tire size and gear ratio helps too.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I never changed that. Was this a manual truck? Changing that doesn't do anything. It doesn't make it able to run a automatic etc.
    Works for putting a non computerized automatic in. Flipped the switch on my buddies 0411 when he put a TH400 behind his 6.0L in his 90 K2500. Did it again on the P59 running a 6.0L in my 87 G20 with the stock TH400. Zero trans codes and a simple TBI P/N switch on the column tells the PCM when the trans is in Park or Drive, changed the switch for that too. Both transmissions have the 40 tooth GMT400 TH400 VSS reluctor installed.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 12-21-2022 at 11:58 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vetteyog View Post
    That is how you want it to shift for towing. The sooner it locks the converter the less heat it builds. My 4L85E locks the converter in 2nd at 35 mph in Tow/Haul and stays locked. You only want it unlocked at about 75%+ throttle.