Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MpvI3 and Jtec+

Potential Tuner
    Yeah best of luck I have been dealing with them for over a month and I am at this point convinced they don?t give a shit lol I mean putts000 has put more into trying to help than hpt has

Tuner in Training
    This is the last official word I heard over the summer. https://www.hptuners.com/articles/jt...mw1g%3D.TBic7m

I searched the forums. Some people are saying their PCM didn't have the VIN programmed in correctly or they reprogrammed the vin and that worked. Can you read the the stock tune with the VCM editor?

Edit: Also try using a known good USB cable and maybe throw a battery charger on it.

If any of you guys live in the NE Ohio area I wouldn't mind meeting up and trying an MPVI3. Vice versa could use my MPVI2 to make sure the cars themselves don't have any issues.
    Last edited by putts000; 12-01-2023 at 06:09 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I will try the charger it couldnt hurt anything, and yea I have pulled the factory tune from the truck so I could look at what I wanted to do with it, I will double check the vin and will source a couple of usb cables- this whole scanner fiasco started out when I went to log long term fuel trim with the scanner since I don?t have a wide band yet I was going to tune off of ltft in the short term because it may not be exact but I would atleast have a good idea if I was going in the right direction but with the scanner issue it halted me buying credits and attempting to tune not just because of the scanner hell I could use another program for that it?s the fact that ok the scanner has shit the bed is this going to brick my truck and then that whole fiasco

Potential Tuner
    sorry for the extended reply time and again thanks for all the help, I used a new c cable for the hpt dongle no change- plugged a charger into the battery no change in situation, checked the vin as i have pulled the stock file off the truck and the vin is correct i did not attempt a reprogram as right now i have zero faith in this program lol so not looking to go from a running truck to a brick just yet, Also i have an 03 excursion the scanner reads just fine obviously i cant pull the factory tune as its not a supported ecm. Christmas week i will have access to 4 more jtec vehicles i will be able to see if this is specific to my truck or if these other vehicles display the same problem and will reply back here- update to the hpt issues they still have not gotten back to me so i have been screwing with them for 2 months now and one moth of that has been dark no contact from them no matter how many times i get after them

Tuner in Training
    I am on mpvi2 and i heard even the mpvi2 modules are having issues. I have a Srt10 coming in for a tune ill let you guys know how it goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnysm View Post
    I am on mpvi2 and i heard even the mpvi2 modules are having issues. I have a Srt10 coming in for a tune ill let you guys know how it goes down.
    Sound good, I would like to know.

Anybody have success with this yet? I know they say support is there now, but I don't feel like bricking the PCM in our Durango. It has always been our reliable winter beater when the diesels get cranky about the cold... But I despise the shift points and have a cam I would like to slip in it.

Tuner in Training
    Everyone knows that there isn't any love for JTEC from HP Tuners. Years ago my tuner asked for added parameters to be added for tuning the JTEC to HP Tuners and it fell on deaf ears. It amazes me because there are tons of JTEC controlled vehicles out there. I have a supercharged Dodge Ram and with what my tuner had he made it work. I bet if we had GM vehicles HP Tuners would jump right on it. Well... that's the vibe I get anyways.

I have a MPVi2 so hopefully I still will not have any issues writing to the ECU. I have not tinkered with the truck lately but was successful on reading the ECU. Didn't make any changes to the tune but after reading some of these posts I'm hoping I can still write to the ECU.

HP Tuners... don't give up or forget about us JTEC guys please!!!

Tuner in Training
    As far as I know HP Tuners gives you access to every modifiable table the JTEC has to offer. When you "Tune" a PCM all your doing is modifying the same tables that Chrysler/Ford/GM... change between engines/trim packages. The Logic/Operating system doesn't get modified, just the tables the operating system is looking up to calculate its outputs. The 5.9, 5.2, 4.0, 3.9, and 2.5 engines all have the same logic/OS running. The V10 is a little different because it has coil packs and 10 injectors. The exception to this is GM, Subaru and few others that released all there hardware specs and OS to the public. When you tune most GM/LS engines you can do the basic tuning like on a jtec, or it has options for a custom operating system wrote by HP tuners. When you do this the base GM OS is gone and a custom HP tuners version is installed giving you options only limited by the hardware itself. Chrysler has always kept their information private. From the 80s until today they have never released anything to the public. Even the hardware/processors/dac/adc used in the PCMs are custom for Chrysler. No data sheets available to know what pins do what, what registers do what, no source code... It could be reverse engineered if you're a computer/electronics genius with a lot of spare time on your hands.

For people getting disappointed. The JTEC capabilities excluding the 4.7/rfe from my tuning experience are.
    1 Stock to decent cam 220 duration range, high compression, intakes, headers, ported, heads, no issues daily driving, no check engine lights.
    2 Big cams 220+, limited closed loop operation, narrow band O2 cannot give proper reading at low rpm/load, daily drive with a raised idle. 97-98 no CEL, 99+ maybe CEL
    3 E85/meth works in open loop only. No daily driving.
    4 Forced induction works, looses resolution on tables with every bar. Looses the ability to adapt for elevation change. Race only, or drive on flat land. CEL on for baro performance.
    5 RE transmissions have no adjustability as they are mostly hydraulically controlled. 4th, lockup, and governor pressure are coded in logic not tables.
    6 RFE transmission have a lot of options but I've never tuned a vehicle with a RFE to test any.

Speedometer calibrations are done through the ABS module with a normal bi-directional scan tool. Swapping between 8.25 and 9.25 rear ends is set through the abs module.

Potential Tuner
    So just a follow up I had access to 2 jeeps a 96 and a 04 both 4.0l and another 5.9 truck but this was an 02 and as far as the scanner is concerned nothing I cannot live scan the vehicles? I plugged into a 00 Escalade and works with out a problem it?s hp tuner they claimed full compatibility got the money and are nowhere to be found.

I uploaded a PCM last summer, before HP Tuner released JTEC to MPVI3. I asked HP Tuners if they turned anything off for JTEC for MPVI2 when they added JTEC to MPVI3 and they said no.

Has anyone recently loaded tune with MPVI2 to JTEC?

I wish HP forum folks would reply to some of questions/problems with MPVI2/JTEC.
    Last edited by EvilR/T; 12-31-2023 at 10:50 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I just messed with an 01 Durango R/T that was "upgraded" to 4 hole ebay injectors yesterday. Read, tuned with a wide band, wrote about a dozen times. No issues. All data logging worked fine. This was with a MPVI2 using usb cable, latest beta software.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by putts000 View Post
    I just messed with an 01 Durango R/T that was "upgraded" to 4 hole ebay injectors yesterday. Read, tuned with a wide band, wrote about a dozen times. No issues. All data logging worked fine. This was with a MPVI2 using usb cable, latest beta software.
    That's good to know.

So it's safe to download the latest beta software and the JTEC is loading fine. I try an upload Monday.

Today I read and wrote to my JTEC Dakota. Everything worked fine. I did get a proxy fail at the start, I synced and it worked fine after that. I did try to read/write without being connected to the internet and it would not work.
    Last edited by EvilR/T; 01-05-2024 at 04:52 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Still no logging support for MPVI3 and JTEC? My ticket has been opened for months.

Potential Tuner
    Man, there is a ton of fustration with HP devices. I ran into this fiaco last year, during HP's move from MPVI2+ to MPVI3. I was lucky enough to grab an MPVI2+ device as they were short on supply during the cutover. I have a 97 Dakota with a 408/46RE. The default PCM which came with the truck has the original JTec firmware. HP's MPVI2+ has worked faultlessly for me, until I had an issue with my Windows 10 portable. I purchased a new portable, essentially the same hardware, but the new PC had Windows 11. From this point forward, I had a host of intermittent issues with the new PC. My original PC was a Lenovo and the new platform was a Lenovo (new version). I could read my PCM, but I could not write the PCM. I was told by support to move forward with the Beta version released. That would not work either. I was finally given the answer, "when we have something, we will reach back out". I finally had to research the issue on my end. I went back to the my original Lenovo platform, purchased a replacement motherboard and got the Window 10 platform up and running. Today, I can read and write my PCM. So what I would say to many of the people having issue with either their MPVI2+ or MPVI3, verify it isn't an Windows operating system issue.

As for Jtec vs Jtec+, I would love to have a mechisnism which allowed me to update my original PCM to support some of the additional functionality Dodge added for Jtec+. I happened to grab a PCM (junkyard) from a 2000 Dakota R/T 5.9. The PCM had Jtec+. I was able to read this version of the PCM, but I didn't move forward with writing it, but I'm still on the fence related to adding the additional license and going down this path.

More research to do. I wanted to add what I have been seeing on my end.

Tuner in Training
    I?m just frustrated because I?m out $500 trying to datalog a supposedly supported car. I have offered to allow HPTuners devs to have full remote admin access to the laptop while hooked to the car to troubleshoot the issues, and was told they weren?t allowed to do that. Even with these known issues, HPTuners is still advertising MPV3 devices as supporting these JTEC vehicles several months after these defects have been reported. I understand how hard it is to make a product like this, but as a paying customer I also expect a product advertised as functional to function as advertised.

Tuner in Training
    Viper1313.
    Go back to post #35 and download the two files. Connect the scanner to your car, ignition on, connect to the car, load both the layout and channel config files, hit the red record button. See if that works. All the defaults the scanner is looking for are generic OBD2 pids. Jtec does not use generic OBD2 protocols. You might need to start a new support ticket. I think they updated there support system. You might have gotten lost in the mix.

kennyg7247
    The Jtec+ 99+ hardware wise is completely different. It was upgraded to increase ram, rom, and processing power that was needed for the 4.7L ignition, emissions, and the rfe transmissions. Most all the additional tuning options found in the jtec+ only apply to the 4.7/rfe. You can change them but most don't change anything on the Magnum/RE cars. If you come across any jtec files that have more options then yours you can make a ticket with support, send them both your file and the file with the table you want and most times they can add it to your specific vin number. I stick to only 97-98 jtecs for all retro fits. The only issues they have is the capacitors for the power supply in them get old and leaky, very easy to repair, the pcb only has a thin conformal coating. The Jtec+ are the ones that fail at multiple drivers, all solder joints, iac ic, eprom...the list goes on, and have the pcb sealed in carbonite jelly. I repair jtec+ only if I must.

So has anybody figured this out yet for MPVI3? Im getting pretty pissed. I was FINALLY able to read and edit stock file. Then I pay to license ECM and it doesnt work. I am however using the stable version. I just downloaded the Beta so Im gonna try it now. Its 3AM and 24 Degrees here in SC but Ive been fighting this sh*t all day and am ready to try it.

HPTUNERS, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, GET BACK HERE AND ANSWER FOR YOURSELF.