Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Camaro FPCM

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune View Post
    Has anyone looked at the ZR1 pump as a re-fit for the Camaro? ZR1 has FPCM as well.
    You know, lol, I earlier asked, "Will the Z06 fuel pump fit in your car without heavy modification, is the question?!", and it should have read "ZR1" (corrected my previous post already, hehe). icicleboy even replied, "The vette pump is not compatible at all as it's a 5 wire stepper style motor." I need to slow down sometimes.

Is the FPCM used in the Camaro the same as the trucks? If so, it's different than the ZR1.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    In regards to installing an additional pump, why not just install a 2nd FPCM to run the additional pump, just like we do with installing an addtional FPDM on the Fords when we use 2 GT40 pumps in the same tank (the factory FPDM will go into thermal overload on 2 GT40 pumps).
    Just wanted to let everyone know that Dan at Dynojet and his buddy are going to attempt to install a 2nd pump and a 2nd FPCM on a Camaro (car has a Procharger), along with some Siemens (Continental) 80# injectors. I'll keep everyone updated as to the progress of it, or Dan will.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Cool, we were going to try the same (2 fpcm's/pumps) so I'm interested to hear the results.
    07 ZO6- warhawk 427/APS TT/HPT 2.5bar

[email protected]

Yea, the 2 FPCM's and 2 pumps is probably the best solution and it looks like some of you might beat me to it. I also can't wait to hear the results. I have the siemens 60# injectors for my car.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know that Dan at Dynojet and his buddy are going to attempt to install a 2nd pump and a 2nd FPCM on a Camaro (car has a Procharger), along with some Siemens (Continental) 80# injectors. I'll keep everyone updated as to the progress of it, or Dan will.
    I am interested in this too. I plan on putting a supercharger on my car at some point and the G8 GXP runs out of fuel around 550 rwhp. Please post up any results from this attempt.
    2016 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L

Tuner in Training
    80's are in, and one of my associates is going to try and get the cal dialed in tonight. I couldn't convince the owner to buy a second FPDM and pump though, but I'm sure after he sees the fuel pressure data, he'll be motivated to find a solution.

I've got enough old Ford "turbine style" fuel pumps laying around, we thought that perhaps we could jump power from the OEM pump over to a "helper pump". Not sure how / where to secure it since I've never looked inside the tank, but the owner has been quite intimate with the OEM fuel pump / basket assembly / tank. Assuming the FPCM can handle the electrical load, the stock pump with Ford turbine style pump should result in a lower duty cycle, and increase the overhead on the fuel supply side of things.

Also, I had a thought, and it may not be technically sound, but here it goes. Since he's running FRPP / Siemens 80# injectors, which are really 89.23 #/hr at 58 psi, then perhaps we could lower the target rail pressure to 45 psi in order to gain some overhead with the stock pump for now. Of course the injector duty cycle will increase at a lower target delta fuel pressure, but there has to be a happy spot (for now) in regards to using the stock pump and 80# injectors. I know this is not the ultimate solution, but I'm interested to see what happens.
    2006 AWD TBSS
    STS T67 Turbo Kit
    12.2@112 MPH (Las Vegas, uncorrected, stock trans and converter)

2009 G8 GT
    Maggie TVS1900 3.3" pulley
    411 rwhp (all stock other than the Maggie)

Senior Tuner
    Dan, the good thing is that the calibration doesn't have the IFR limitation of previous, nor the MAF limitation, so you shouldn't have any issues tuning this bad boy in whatsoever. Greg's injector calibration data should get you guys setup perfectly. Since the fuel system is an electronic returnless setup, then Greg's values should still apply even at a lower pressure.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Tuner in Training
    Well, I wasn't able to join in the fun last night on the dyno, but one of the guys here at Dynojet and the owner gave it a go..............without fuel pump upgrades!! I don't know too much about the car other than it has a cam, exhaust, 80# injectors, and a D1sc Procharger with a 10-12 psi pulley. The logs they shared with me indicate that the rail pressure started to drop at at 3600 rpms / 3-4 pounds of boost, and they "raped the PE" table just to make some bonzai runs...........sheeeesh. They had 10-12 degrees of total timing at high loads / high RPM's, and the IAT's were approaching 150 degrees F (it was 102 deg F in the shop).

The owner has a second FPCM in hand now, and I believe he's working on getting a second pump integrated into the tank as I type this. He couldn't source the connector for the new FPCM, so we'll most likely have to find some pin terminals that are a good fit, and that will have to suffice for testing.

Like I said, I don't have all the details on these runs, or what changes were made, but I couldn't believe the power! Once they can stabilize the fuel pressure, I'm sure they'll "pretty up" the WOT AFR trend

Last edited by Dyno Dan; 08-27-2009 at 10:57 PM.
    2006 AWD TBSS
    STS T67 Turbo Kit

2009 G8 GT

Do they still have the intak fuel pressure regulator ? and how does the PCM calculate the fuel flow is there a special sensor or from the injectors PW ?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Legal View Post
    Do they still have the intak fuel pressure regulator ? and how does the PCM calculate the fuel flow is there a special sensor or from the injectors PW ?
    Looks like it.

He just swung by my house last night after spending all day on the fuel system. I'll have to get the pics from him, but he adapted some Ford parts from a Mustang basket assembly, along with an 03 Cobra pump, and was able to package the new parts in the OEM fuel pump module assembly (but it's not pretty....more for proof of concept). He vampired the power from the orignal wires, and so far, so good. Even with the 110 ambient temps yesterday, the stock FPCM didn't throw a fit, or default to a "thermal overload", etc etc.

Fuel pressure looks like it's holding 54 psi from start to finish, so that's a good sign.
    Last edited by Dyno Dan; 08-30-2009 at 11:50 AM.
    2006 AWD TBSS
    STS T67 Turbo Kit

2009 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno Dan View Post
    Looks like it.

He just swung by my house last night after spending all day on the fuel system. I'll have to get the pics from him, but he adapted some Ford parts from a Mustang basket assembly, along with an 03 Cobra pump, and was able to package the new parts in the OEM fuel pump module assembly (but it's not pretty....more for proof of concept). He vampired the power from the orignal wires, and so far, so good. Even with the 110 ambient temps yesterday, the stock FPCM didn't throw a fit, or default to a "thermal overload", etc etc.

Fuel pressure looks like it's holding 54 psi from start to finish, so that's a good sign.

from the pic it's still has the intank fuel pressure regulator which wont let any more than 60 psi of fuel pressure.

good work guys.

Tuner in Training
    Well, here are the pics he sent me:

I know it's ugly, but you've got to give him credit for trying to make something work The logs indicate the FRP is sill dropping from 58 psi at cruise / vac conditions to about 44 psi at full boogie. My friend / co-worker that's doing the tuning made the following notes:

run# 9 is 91 octane, 100+ ambient temps. the logs show single digit timing at high RPMS, a result of 160-190 degree IAT's!

run#2 is 91 octane, methanol injection, and tuned to not yank timing vs. IAT (scary). he needs to breakout the IAT circuit from the MAF, and then relocate it downstream of the meth nozzle.........then let the tune manage IAT properly.

And finally, here's the graphs:

As you can see, Carl (my friend / co-worker) that's doing the tuning starts to lose track of the commanded 11.5 AFR as the fuel pressure starts trails off. Once he can stop chasing moving targets, I feel that he'll get this thing dialed in nicely
    Last edited by Dyno Dan; 09-04-2009 at 02:18 PM.
    2006 AWD TBSS
    STS T67 Turbo Kit

2009 G8 GT

Tuner in Training
    i noticed a lot of people suggested an ls9 pump. well what about an lsa pump from a cts-v? we have an ls9 powered '10 camaro at my shop trying to essentially do the same thing, boost pressure at WOT.

I have heard from several shops that a BAP can be wired in after the FPCM. They said the FPCM outputs a different voltage depending on the pressure in the rail, at idle this can be as low as 6 volts. The one issue that can arrise is that the BAP needs at least 9 volts to operate so if it is triggered to turn on when their is a low input voltage it will blow a fuse. Also, shops are pushing 750rwhp on the stock pump with a BAP.

Tuner in Training
    just a quick fix thought here....would tying a resistor into the fuel pressure sensor signal circuit to "trick" the FPCM into increasing the duty cycle for the pump to gain more pressure do any good? I am thinking if you made the computer think there was say 10psi less than actual that it may bump up the duty cycle. Or just set DTC's lol.

the max pressure is 60psi, there is an regulator in the tank. A BAP after the FPCM will not increase the pressure but it would increase the volume of fuel pumped. The resistor trick will not work because even at full duty cycle or voltage (however its regulated) there will probally not be enough pump for you.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ss02camaro35th View Post
    i noticed a lot of people suggested an ls9 pump. well what about an lsa pump from a cts-v? we have an ls9 powered '10 camaro at my shop trying to essentially do the same thing, boost pressure at WOT.
    I don't think it'll work, actually. That's a variable output pump, so it would eventually burn up at a constant voltage.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Here is what I learned today by hooking my multimeter up to the output of the FPCM and driving around.

The FPCM outputs a constant voltage (I do not believe it is pulsed) At idle the voltage was around 7.5volts and cruising was around 8-9. At WOT when my fuel pressure is falling off the FPCM is outputting 12.8volts. This is obviously the max output voltage

I believe the best way to trigger the bap will be with a voltage sensing switch, I am planning on using a TPS 0-12v switch and will trigger the bap to come on at 12volts.

A hobbs switch will not work because the bap can be triggered to come on when there is less than 10volts in. The bap will blow fuses if the input voltage is less than 10v when it is on.

Hello guys, I've been reading this thread for a while and I have a question for E85 LSX. I'm assuming this Camaro is modded quite a bit? What big changes have you made? If this car is still relatively stock and cant keep up with fueling it's own motor I'm getting nervous. I have a 2010 SS and I planned on doing a 219/234 @50 thou and 600 lift Comp cam. If this machine in question is still close to stock, I'm going to have to rethink my whole setup plans. It's been a couple of weeks, has anyone here come up with any FPCM answeres? Dying to know.
    2010 Camaro 1SS m6
    GMC 2500HD 6.0L m5

Quote Originally Posted by 2010LS3 View Post
    Hello guys, I've been reading this thread for a while and I have a question for E85 LSX. I'm assuming this Camaro is modded quite a bit? What big changes have you made? If this car is still relatively stock and cant keep up with fueling it's own motor I'm getting nervous. I have a 2010 SS and I planned on doing a 219/234 @50 thou and 600 lift Comp cam. If this machine in question is still close to stock, I'm going to have to rethink my whole setup plans. It's been a couple of weeks, has anyone here come up with any FPCM answeres? Dying to know.

My car has headers and a nice cam but Im running e85 not gas so my fuel requirements are about 30% more than if I ran gas.

So far I have wired the BAP 2 different ways before and after the FPCM. It is now common for people to wire the BAP before the FPCM, in this configuration it worked for me but didn't work well enough.

Because of this I wired it after the FPCM and this worked extremely well for me until tonight. . . I believe my BAP shit the bed tonight it just keeps blowing fuses. I don't think the BAP likes the modulated input current it was seeing.

At this point I might give up on this BAP and just look into the dual fuel pump options out there.